Saturday, January 13, 2024

Today is Just For Me

 People are funny -- few more so than my late Mom Sunny. Although she lost the love of her life, my Dad, when she was just 62, she lived a blessed life. Dad had left her financially secure, and given the high interest rates of the early 80s, she made very decent money without risk -- bank CDs did it for her.

She made a very full life for herself. She volunteered at Delray Hospital each week -- as a rather aged candy striper. She would transport patients, help with filing. She got multiple thousands of hours awards, and she took it seriously. Very little would allow her to miss those Fridays at the hospital.

Other than that, she had essentially no commitments she had to keep -- she traveled the world, and spent much time with her family and friends. She was blessed.

And she was funny. Every so often, she would announce "Today is just for me!" We would point out that just about EVERY day was just for her -- she didn't have to work or baby sit. But in her mind, certain days were set aside for that.

Wifey and I honor Mom all the time with her adorable, hilarious sayings. For example, 4:30 p.m. is "Grandma Sunny Time." That's because were once driving back to our house, the car was quiet, and she signed and said "Ah -- it's 4:30." Wifey asked -- so what? "Oh nothing -- I was just looking at my watch."

Mom had an internal dialogue that was endearing.

And so today is also "Just for me" in honor of Mom.

I, too, am blessed -- my time is mostly my own. Last night, on our Zoom, Drs. Eric and Barry were comparing tales of having to put up with jerky and incompetent supervisors. Man -- that resonated with me -- I am fortunately free of that. My career hassles are all bearable -- negotiations about fee splits, low pressure consulting on cases -- occasionally some PR with clients to get them to retain our group.

If I dealt daily with direct supervisors who affected my life -- well -- no bueno for me.

Still, today is a particularly lazy one. D2 and Jonanathan moved into their new house yesterday, and are thrilled. The Ds already had some hangout time -- D1 timed it -- the drive is less than 5 minutes.

That makes me one extremely proud Daddy in the USA -- I always hoped they'd both live in Miami, but to have them a long walk apart -- well -- my cup runneth over.

Tomorrow we're going to gather in the afternoon for the dispersal of D1's beloved dog's cremains. It'll be a sad event -- not sure how, or if it'll be explained to the Little Man -- D1 and Joey will have to figure that out.

I think afterwards there'll be the first celebratory martini at D2 and Jonathan's house.

Monday, Norman invited me to celebrate MLK Day with him -- ironically in one of the whitest ways possible -- attending a hockey game. Hey -- why not? I don't imagine too many African American folks eat latkes on Chanukah, right?

But today -- essentially nothing is on the schedule -- except the Dolphins playoff game at 8 pm. They're playing at KC, and it is supposed to be the coldest game they've ever played. No one gives than a snowball's chance in hell -- but you never know.

We have the energetic enormous pup Betsy here -- I guess I'll take her for a walk in a bit. Yesterday she got 2 miles and savored every moment.

Today, like all days, is just for Betsy, too...

No comments: