Monday, January 1, 2024

2024

 So we expected Kenny, Joelle, and Adam, along with special appearance by Moxie the Rescue, around 6:30-7. Wifey went out to get some cheese and dessert -- our guests were bringing Shorty's barbecue.

I got the Sonos going, and lit a fire in the pit -- it was a lovely chilly evening -- and then I poured myself an Absolut, and Wifey some Prosecco! She actually agreed to toast with me before the guests -- a happily unusual event.

We toasted our amazing family, and the new year, and our upcoming 37th!!! anniversary. It was lovely.

Our guests arrived, and we sat in the dining room eating and catching up. Afterwards, we retreated to the firepit, with blankets for the women, and wine refills. Adam told us about his Psych grad studies -- he looks forward to being an actual therapist someday. We joked that with his Ashkenazi neurotic birthright -- he will be prepared!

The guests left at 9:30, with Joelle and Wifey planning to follow up about a possible cruise for us in March. Indeed, they did that today -- looks like we'll be going to Barbados, staying a few days, and cruising back to Miami. The Carribbean doesn't thrill me, but with dear friends and a nice, smallish ship, it'll be a fine time. Plus, I always HAVE wanted to see that oldest synagogue in the new world -- still standing in Barbados.

Wifey and I stayed around the fire, and to prove my love for her, played Joni Mitchell on the Sonos. Songs about ex lovers. She IS much less whiny than Taylor Swift, so she's got THAT going for her...

I kid. Joni is very talented, and Wifey loves her, like I do Springsteen. So last night I endured...

This am Wifey slept in, and I left for the Zoo. Someone told me it's where it's all happening. Why can't my brain work without song lyrics or movie lines?

Joey and his parents, my wonderful consuegros, arrived and parked right next to me, with a napping Little Man. But he soon awoke, and we picked up the pedal car Joey had reserved. It was delightful -- Little Man in front, asking all manner of questions about all the animals and enjoying it immensely.

D1 and Baby Man opted out, on account of Baby Man is "too squirmy," and Wifey slept in. But we 5 savored the first day of the year -- seeing most of the Zoo, and stopping for lunch. Little Man is too young to get some of my sense of humor, so I refrained from telling him his chicken tenders might have been some of the birds we had just seen, tenders.

We saw all the animals, and I DID joke with Little Man that he would see a rarer animal tonight -- his brother, the "Wild Baby Man." He liked that idea...

After we walked through the Amazon, there came a highlight. Little Man LOVES owls, and they have some rare species of eagle that looks like an ENORMOUS owl. He really dug that critter.

We said goodbye, and I left for home. Bowl games awaited, which were the proper level of boring to give me my first nap of the new year. I awoke to the College Playoffs, which are on as I type. I guess I'll pull for Michigan -- no long term grudges against their program.

But it was a banner first day of the year -- gorgeous weather, and a curious and beautiful 4 year old who is just realizing the world holds limitless wonders -- especially rocket ships and dinosaurs.

I was inspired early this am, to rhyme my new year's greeting. 2024. The world has misery -- will there be more? I guess we have to take the tour, or like seeing a fine vintage wine, wait for the pour.

Yeah -- I was inspired by Sinatra's "Wee Small Hours," and know I'm nobody's poet, but the end of one year and the beginning of another is the time to take stock.

What to leave in, and what to leave out, as Seger sang.

So here's to a great year. Big Man willing -- let it be the best ever.

No comments: