Saturday, May 20, 2023

You Don't Mess Around With Jim(my)

 So the only teams I truly care absurdly about are my Hurricanes. Oh, my favorite pro teams are the Marlins, Dolphins, Panthers, and Heat, but, truth be told, I only follow them closely when they're winning, and this year both the Cats and Heat are in their respective Eastern Conference Finals.

Wifey is, surprisingly, a pretty big Heat fan. Jonathan is, too -- they were his guys since he was a boy, and I feel best for him when they succeed. This season they are succeeding, in a huge way -- up 2-0 games in the Finals over the heavily favored Boston Celtics.

Yesterday was a great Friday. The Ds and Wifey returned from their staycation glowing -- they had an awesome bonding time, free from the Y chromosomes that impact their lives. The Ds find Wifey hilarious -- and she is more and more, well, quirky. As I reminded Wifey, we are, after all, a tribe of wise ass Ashkenazim, and cracking wise and making fun is our birthright. She agreed, that it is the Ds' "language of love."

D1 sprinted off, to fetch the adorable toddler, and D2 stayed awhile, talking about a hopefully impending house purchase. It will become final or not this coming week, and I hope the deal goes through -- I get a terrific feel for the place, and it's all of five minutes from D1 and Joey's house. Wifey is already murmuring about us selling in Pinecrest and moving North of Flagler Street. Nah. I love where I live and don't mind the drive -- all of 35 minutes without traffic.

Then D2 left and we had a quick international Shabbos Zoom --Eric and Dana signed in from Portugal! They're leaving this am for Barcelona, and I thought they might be there the same time as Joelle and Kenny -- but they're missing each other by a few days.

After that, Barry FaceTimed (tm) and we caught up with him. Josh was breezing by -- big brother and girlfriend were on a late flight to MIA to celebrate Barry's Mom's 80th. She was indeed very young when she birthed my brother -- I think the family is taking her to an Italian place in Boca where Eric and Dana's first consuegros hosted a rehearsal dinner several years back -- before the Plague.

And then Wifey and I watched the Heat. I was of little faith -- convinced the more talented Celtics would win the home game. And then this year's star, Jimmy Butler, ramped up his game, as he is wont to do, especially after a Celtics player jawed with him. I of course thought about the great Jim Croce song -- I was surprised no journalists made the reference, but I guess most of them are millennials -- too young.

And the announcers seem content with the tired "The Butler did it." Whatever. When your team is winning -- everything is witty and fun.

Today Wifey and I are living out the song from some years back about "not doing anything -- nothing at all." We just ordered Publix delivery and marveled at this brave new world. A few keystrokes, willingness to pay a few dollars more, and a shopper brings you all you need to your doorstep. As my eldest grandson said, "Gwaw!"

Tonight, we may just tune into the Panthers, though Wifey doesn't much get hockey. She likes warmer temps -- even watching the Winter game makes her feel cold.

Tomorrow, we may make the rare trek north of the Miami-Dade-Broward line. Barry's colleague Patti is hosting a 70th birthday party for Delores, her wife. They're both awesome. And afterwards, if logistics allow, we'll have a farewell meal with Scott and Sam before they return to D.C. and the work of journalism.

And then, hopefully, home to watch Game 3 -- to see if the Celtics again try to mess around with Jim(my).

No comments: