Wednesday, May 17, 2023

From Toddler to Little Boy

 So we've started a nice routine in our family -- Tuesday's for D1's oldest. D2, Wifey, and I, in some combination or all together, pick up the 3.5 year old from his pre school and take him out for a few hours, allowing D1 to get in any needed work calls without the noise and tumult of this thankfully high energy child. Yesterday it was just Wifey and me.

Of course, we can't be objective, but we find him almost illegally cute. He is truly passing through the stage from toddlerhood to little boy, and he is a very talkative one -- completely bilingual. He switches between Spanish and English seamlessly -- since he's learning both tongues at the same time.

He also sounds to me exactly like the comedian Adam Sandler when he plays a little boy -- that adorable voice with the charming mispronounciations. Wifey and I can see how hard it is to discipline him -- all he needs to do is put on the cute, and you're disarmed.

The drive from school is a barrage of questions. He points out to us the little bridge over the Bay and the big bridge, and why sometimes the traffic stops so the boats can go. I stopped in D1's SUV to fill her tank, and he said "Mommy will be SO HAPPY."

Typically our first stop is an ice cream shop in nearby Miami Shores, where he always gets "eye cream." His favorite flavor is "pink." Sometimes pink is mango, or watermelon, or strawberry. Yesterday the pink flavor had sprinkles! That made for even more joy.

As I was walking back in the shop to get napkins, a young Dad was there with his boy, and said to me "Your son really enjoys his ice cream!" My son? Ha -- I guess he mistook all the gray hair for blonde in the bright sunlight. I told him he made my day, but then I realized we were in Miami -- and lots of guys my age have kids that age -- with wives #2, or 3, or 4...

Not this guy. My two grown daughters are plenty -- and the grandparent gig is plenty, too -- Wifey and I always come home from our time with the kids and collapse.

After "eye cream" it was back home -- and the actual baby was up from his nap. He's a delight. He turns one in July, and is amazingly good natured and easy. He just crawls around happy. His big brother keeps him out of the play area where he builds stuff -- lest the little guy wreck it, in lieu of his own wrecking his creations. Boys. This is new territory for Wifey and me.

My consuegro Ricardo was over, and we caught up. I thanked him again for all his great work procuring my new manly SUV. He asked if it had any problems. I told him only that I was annoyed at myself for being such a cheap bastard and driving a too small car for the past 6 years. We laughed -- the problem was solved.

Joey came home. D1 poured a glass of wine and I poured a Ketel. Joey invited us to stay, but I remain true to my "try to be the best suegro in the world" approach -- I made Wifey get up and we left to give the young family their time.

My late father in law Richard was different. When I would get home from work, he would bark that I should "Put on da short pants!" and relax with he and my mother in law there. I was too nice to tell them that more than anything I wanted them to fade out after a day at the office. But, I pledged then to be different -- so after a brief greet with Joey, we was out.

We stopped a few blocks away at Pinch, a place we enjoy. I toasted our sons in law -- in an already contest winning life, we hit the big jackpot. Both are awesome and love our Ds, and now our grandsons.

We know several people who would rather attend their sons in laws' funerals than weddings. And that is a rough hand to play in life.

Meanwhile, D1 adores her boys, but recognizes some time away from them is therapeutic. So she planned a Mother/Daughter staycation for her, her sister, and Wifey. They leave today for nearby Key Biscayne -- 2 nights and 3 days of no dealing with Y chromosomes. 

D2 is leaving her enormous puppy with me -- so I get to dog sit. And that's fine. I love the role of the noble mule.

I plan to have dinner tonight with my sister of another mister, Mirta. We'll catch up with our lives -- she is HER family's mule -- caring for grown sons and grandkids and a very nice boyfriend, Jay.

Tomorrow, Joelle was invited to join my womenfolk for dinner on the Key. If she goes, Kenny and I may bach it together. I suggested salads and quiche. Joelle said we should have Chablis as well. Yes -- that would be our dinner of choice -- if we were a couple and lived in Provincetown.

This am I ran into my cheerful Venezuelan neighbor Berta. She's expecting her second grandchild in July. She is also retiring -- from a high paid finance job -- to spend more time with the grandkids. She's lucky -- her husband owns a very successful family business, so money isn't a real problem. But still -- always nice to have the extra shekels, I said.

"David -- I just turned 60 and had a serious heart scare. Time is the only precious thing -- never money."

We hugged as we agreed. And yesterday, for Wifey and me, our time was extremely well spent.

No comments: