Monday, May 8, 2023

Spending The Shekels

 So I got a call from Eric last night -- he was heading later on to a shiva call for an old friend of his, Marc. Marc and Eric joined Mt. Sinai on the Beach at the same time -- both came back home from Harvard training programs -- Marc was an orthopedic surgeon. Eric introduced me.

At the time, I was building my PI practice, and Marc seemed a great fit for us -- I could refer clients to him for ortho care, know I was referring them to a well trained person, and hopefully get easy cooperation in getting records and depositions from Marc, as needed. Sure enough, soon after our meeting, we got a client who was on the job when he had a terrible car crash, with multiple fractures, and I referred the client to Marc.

He did a fine job, and billed the Workers Compensation carrier nearly $100K. Great, I thought, the guy knew I was going to send real patients, not the "my back and neck hurt" BS common to many PI firms. I asked Norma, my secretary, to get the records, and she came to me saying that Dr. Marc's office wanted $500 to send them. Oh, I laughed, clearly the office doesn't realize that I was the one who referred said patient, for which they made a healthy fee. So I called and the manager said no -- that was office policy -- no tickey, no laundry. Well, that was of course the final client we referred to him, but he soared professionally nonetheless -- became Chair of the Department.

I last saw him years ago at the hospital, when we gathered there as Eric's father was being treated for what proved to be his fatal heart attack -- transferred from a small hospital in Broward, but I think we all knew the outcome. I shook Marc's hand, of course, and never saw him again. Eric and Dana remained friends with him and his wife, though in 2000, when they moved to Palm Beach, they mostly lost touch.

Miami being a small town, my friend Jeff knew Marc's wife Rachel from their shul on the Beach, and knew he had been sick for awhile. Turns out he was diagnosed with a brain tumor 2.5 years ago, treated it aggressively, but ended up in hospice for the final months, not recognizing his kids. Truly sad -- a great healer gone at 60.

But then Eric and I talked about his upcoming trip -- his first out of the US since the plague, and how he and I only fly Business on long flights, and only stay in good hotels. When we met, we were necessarily penurious, since we were broke ass, but now, though generous with our families, and charitable to community needs -- we treat ourselves, too.

Last night we had Joelle and Kenny over for a pre-game, and then out to a nice dinner at a local place, Platea. We toasted -- Joelle proposed we travel together, one big trip, each year. We travel great with them -- Joelle is a fine planner, and Wifey and  I fine followers. And likewise, after long careers in law academics and medicine, and still treating their grown sons to great trips (they're leaving next week on a Euro cruise with the sons) -- no holding back on doing the things we wish to do.

I often pride myself on living below our means. I kept a smallish car, which I called a girlie Lexus, for two lease cycles -- who needs a more expensive car. My family convinced me to get something more substantial, and I did -- a large Caddy SUV -- and each time I get in or out, and ooze down the street as the Boss noted one does in a Caddy (though a pink one, in his song), I kick myself for the last 6 years of an uncomfortable car.

We're finishing up the details of our big Joelle and Kenny trip for December -- South America. Flying to Buenos Aires, which Wifey comically pronounces Air-ees, and then Mendoza, and finally a resort in Chile, before a flight home from Santiago. The trip will cost more than my first year's salary as a lawyer -- especially given my insistence on flying Business for overnight flights.

I wasn't friends with Dr. Marc. Jeff is going to the second shiva minyan tonight. I have a feeling he would say: Dave -- spend the shekels.

No comments: