Sunday, May 7, 2023

What A World, What a World...

 I proudly ventured nowhere yesterday -- even skipped my usual walk. I was SO lazy, I didn't even fetch the mail until late in the day -- unusual for me. Wifey and I watched the Heat beat the Knicks, and chatted a bit on the phone with family and friends. And, usual for me, I read the news. A lot.

There was, of course, another mass shooting -- in Texas. There are so many, you can't keep track. Was that the crazy Asian one in California, or the college victims in Idaho, or the gay guys in Orlando?

After Sandy Hook, the event which killed all of those precious little children, and no real gun control happened, one writer noted that we Americans have decided that guns are more important than childrens' lives. And so it is -- that awful reality.

Wifey and I have been blessed with a lot of years, but we have kids, and now grandkids, and we worry about them. I guess all you can do is hope  you're not in that terrible right place at the wrong time.

But the political folks who so favor guns also are obsessed with fetuses, and I read about a case out of Texas that really shocked me, though nothing these days should shock me. I woman divorced her husband, on account of he was an abusive jerk, but found she was pregnant with his child. She sought help from friends about getting the abortion pill, which she did, and thankfully didn't carry the hate child.

Well, the guy got ahold of her phone, and learned of three friends' helping her, and have now sued the three women for wrongful death for killing his baby! I guess Texas has decided a fetus is a person, and although his ex's abortion was legal, he wants to punish her friends. They have counterclaimed, based on privacy violations, since the creep read their private texts with his ex wife.

Wow. So it's come to this, I guess -- though hopefully his case is dismissed. If not, at least in Texas it'll be ok to steal private messages in order to punish women who get abortions AND THOSE WHO HELPED THEM!

What a country of idiots we are. How can everyone ignore Ireland, and their awakening. As a Catholic country, abortion was illegal there, always. Well, two young women died after being forced to carry non viable fetuses. The Irish electorate realized their lives were ruled by a bunch of pedophiles and thieves -- the church there had many scandals. And so they legalized abortion -- leaving it to the choice of a woman -- instead of those who claim to know what the Big Man wants.

Not here. Every reputable poll shows a majority of Americans are pro choice, and yet we revert to the medieval. I just don't get it.

I realize I can do little -- maybe try to support the proper candidates, and hope the political pendulum swings back. But the problem is, the party of my grandparents, parents, and myself is clownish, too.

They've been co-opted by extreme lefties, as evidenced by a new protest in NYC yesterday. A dangerous maniac was on a subway train, threatening people. A young retired Marine grabbed the maniac, along with a few other heroes. Well, the chokehold was too tight, I guess, and the criminal died. Clearly there was no intent to kill the poor loser -- he had skipped bond after breaking an older woman's nose, and the day before had thrown some people onto the subway tracks. NYC will get over his death.

But people protested against the hero! How dare he kill the "poor homeless guy." Predictably, AOC weighed in -- demanding the hero and the two who helped him be charged with murder.

So when "my side" includes this sort of thing -- well -- seems like we're in for quite a long slog towards any sort of a unified nation.

I guess the only realistic course of action can come tonight -- several adult beverages with our friends Joelle and Kenny -- and forget about the problems. They'll wait for tomorrow.

No comments: