Sunday, May 14, 2023

Everything's Quiet On Mother's Day

 So Wifey went out to get her hair did, and I set about an annoying but required task -- replacing the smoke detector batteries. We have 10 of them, PLUS the two that the alarm company provides. Richard and Jennifer did some overkill when they built the house -- both trained architects. Poor Richard might have put more thought into choosing his life partner -- things there ended very bad.

But today is one for optimism and happiness -- so no going dark. Wifey had also asked me if I knew what would make her happy? The answer was to clean out the A/C intake vent in our bedroom -- lots of caked on dust. So a few easy swipes from the vacuum did the job -- and now Wifey is happy. I wish I knew it would take so little -- we'd have spic and spam AC vents all the time!

She returned, and I ordered some Daily Bread, which Joelle and Kenny fetched on their way over. I poured us some martinis and red wine, and we ate in the dining room -- talking of days past, present, and yet to come. Joelle's Mom is still with us, and they're headed up to Broward today to celebrate MD with her. Kenny is one of my very rare friends with both living parents. That's to be expected, of course as we slouch farther into our 60s.

They left around 9, and then Wifey grabbed me as I walked by. Not physically, but by having something on TV she knows will pull me in. Typically it's a gangster movie, or a documentary about one of my interests, but PBS was showing "Fiddler on the Roof," and so I plopped down to watch -- probably for the 20th time.

I recall seeing it when it came out in 1971. My sister Sue was back from Cali for the first time, and she and my Dad and I went -- can't recall what Mom was doing. Also, in a synchronicty moment, Dr. Barry had earlier sent an email about Norman Jewison, who is still alive. The Director, despite his name and directing one of the most famous Jewish films of all time, is NOT Jewish -- but he really got the tale of our people -- with some of the greatest Broadway songs ever.

Wifey kept peeking to see if I got teary eyed during "Sunrise, Sunset" or "Far From the Home I Love." I did NOT. So there!

We have a chill MD planned today. Wifey mentioned wanting to go to Pinecrest Gardens -- the former Parrot Jungle and a beautiful Village park. I reminded her MD is the single most packed day there -- how about we take the grandsons any other day? She agreed.

So the plan is to bring in lunch, and pour some adult beverages, and share some appreciative words about D1 and Wifey as mothers without equal. Also D2 as a dog Mom -- with ZERO pressure on her and Jonathan to join the human parent cohort. Zero. As in not really zero.

The three year old is evolving into a very smart, and very talkative little boy -- hilarious, too. His baby brother is a delight -- one of the easiest babies ever -- happy all the time, BH as my Rabbi always adds.

At some point we'll probably pack the boys into a covered wagon D1 bought and had shipped here. Mercifully the mosquitoes aren't bad -- the County must have sprayed -- and we will go in search of iguanas and pavo royales -- our local peafowl. Last night as Kenny and Joelle were leaving, they heard a loud comical sound coming from our pond -- bullfrogs' mating calls this time of year, punctuated by the shrieks of peafowl. We truly live in a jungle -- and I love it.

We'll also toast the Moms gone by -- Rachel and Sunny. This is Wifey's first MD without her mother, and the 11th without mine.

Sunrise, sunset. I guess I got teary eyed after all.

No comments: