Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Return to the Quotidian

 So Wifey and I agreed -- no going out for our 36th anniversary. We stayed in and she put on some "Making of the Sopranos" for me -- she does know my entertainment wheelhouse.

We got FaceTimes from the Ds, and the adorable 3 year old asked for us by name and threw kisses. It was delightful.

Today I stopped at Bagel Emporium on the way to the office. I picked a table in the back, thinking it would be quiet. As I was enjoying my eggs and reading the local Gables paper, a woman, who looked and sounded like a Temple Judea Sisterhood member took the table behind me, and began a VERY loud conversation with who I assumed was her daughter in another city -- about how they needed to do Pilates together, and how much she couldn't stand her son's girlfriend. It made for a good excuse to beat a hasty retreat -- next time I'll pick an outside table.

I'm on Brickell today, warming up Stu's chair, writing this and checking emails. Stu's on his way in -- maybe we'll have a salad together later, as non macho, hetero as that sounds.

The office looks out onto the corner of Brickell and SE 10th Street. The sidewalks are as busy with pedestrians as any part of NYC. And they're people who LIVE here -- workout clothes, dogs being walked, babies in strollers.

I'm always reminded how much this city has changed. Even when Paul and I opened our office on Brickell in 1995, it was just that -- offices. People lived on the very Southern part of Brickell, and that was it -- in a few bayside condos. Now it's a true neighborhood, not just office park. It's nice to see.

And to my left, on a bench on the North side of 10th, sure enough is the same homeless guy. He sits on that bench every single day watching the world go by. He looks about my age -- always dressed in khaki shorts and sneaks, with a backpack. When I wave hello or say hello, he does the same. I guess he truly embodies John Lennon's "Watching The Wheels." Just sitting there doing time.

I saw in the Gables paper that two events are coming up -- the King Mango Strut, and the Beaux Arts Festival. Maybe I'll get Wifey up early-ish this weekend for the King Mango -- always a fun time.

I texted the Ds about a family outing to UM for the Beaux Arts Festival -- D1 said her 3 year old would destroy the art. Ha -- we can distract him!

So 2023 is upon us. I just told Stu's secretary Carla I have zero predictions. I was convinced 2020 would be a banner year -- turn of the decade, the symbolism of perfect vision. Instead we got the Plague. I guess it did give us clear vision -- but of a world that's not so great.

Our next family event is early February -- D2 turns 31. Wow. How'd THAT happen? She was just recently a difficult but adorable toddler. Then she was a way cool high schooler, and like a week later a Phi Beta Kappa UF student. Now 31? Nah -- time must really warp.

So let's see what you have, 2023. Hopefully far more laughter than tears.

No comments: