Friday, January 13, 2023

Not Sure How You Do This Life Thing Without Laughter

 So Wifey and I just passed the 36 year mark, and folks ask us how we do it. The answer is -- we both have senses of humor. Without the ability to laugh, especially at oneself, I'm really not sure how one moves through this life.

I love to laugh. I love to be surrounded by friends who I can make laugh, and who make me laugh. I'm particularly blessed in that regard -- some of my friends are frustrated writers for publications like "National Lampoon" or "The Onion." Our text threads are pillars of sharp wit -- typically peppered with "too soon" humor -- making fun of tragedies almost as soon as they occur.

Apparently the "Too soon" thing was begun by the late Gilbert Gottfried, who appeared at a Friar's Club roast shortly after 9/11. He said his flight was late, since it made a stop at the Empire State Building. The crowd booed and shouted "Too Soon!" I guess that's true -- time has to pass before tragedy can be lampooned.

Yesterday, at the gym, I made several people laugh hard. My trainer Juan had me schlepping a heavy sachel back and forth, and asked me to run between sets. I don't run. I hate to run -- have since I was forced to on the MacArthur High baseball team in 1977 and never got over that awful feeling that comes, to me, for running. I never "Broke the wall" and likely never will. I fast walk.

To try to change it, Juan yelled "C'mon Dave -- make believe you just drove home having to take the worst dump of your life, and you have to run to the bathroom!" I calmly responded "Well, if that happened -- it'd be time to turn the car in anyway." Belly laughs resulted. It was a fine morning for me.

Years ago, I was at a lunch, with Paul, our friend Allison, and Paul's law school friend Abbey -- now my dear friend Mike's longtime law partner. Allison was asking why Abbey had decided to marry his wife. Abbey said he made a list -- positives and negatives -- and the positives were numerous, and only one negative. Of course, I asked what the negative was, and he responded that his wife had "Zero sense of humor." Woah. Hold the phone! For me, that would have killed the deal.

Sometimes laughs are so intense, I nearly pass out. This typically happens with my oldest friends, after several drinks. I truly can't catch my breath, as we relate tales from the decades. Oh how exquisite those laughs are. Who knows -- we're Zooming tonight with cocktails -- maybe it'll happen.

Meanwhile, we're in the midst of the best weather of the year. Cool evenings and mornings and gorgeous days. Tonight there may be a firepit!

D2 is off to the Turks and Caicos for her friend's bridal shower -- several ladies off for a long weekend together. D1 and Joey and the little men are due over Sunday -- it's a happy reason for me to only get glimpses of the Dolphins playoff game -- they're likely to lose, anyway.

Tomorrow night we're meeting Joelle and Kenny for dinner -- so a fine weekend is in store.

Maybe some of those elusive belly laughs await. They are so sweet.

No comments: