Monday, January 16, 2023

I Have A Dream

 So today is MLK Day, and as I walked my 'hood I got my yearly chuckle, in the "everyone's a little bit racist -- sometimes." Department. I LOVE that Avenue Q song -- it is so poignant.

Years ago, as an OCD homeowner, I memorized the garbage pickup schedule. In Miami Dade County, there are 3 no pickup holidays: Christmas, July 4, and MLK Day. Clearly the majority Black union so negotiated, and it gives me a soft chuckle each year. There's ALWAYS pickup on Yom Kippur -- or even Good Friday.

I circulated my politically incorrect text with my fellow non woke friends, and one pointed out that there IS pickup in Broward today. Interestingly, Miami Dade County is 18% Black, while Broward is 28% Black, but many of the latter are of Caribbean descent. I guess MLK is not as big a deal to someone from Trinidad, or Jamaica.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day, and I did indeed reflect on the great leader. Many of his top advisors were Jews -- he had a very close relationship with many synagogues. Sadly, after his murder, it seems many of his disciples in the Black community related more with Nation of Islam types, who were not, well, Jew-philic. Farrakkan and his like were, and are, downright antisemitic.

I wonder how the arc of our country's history may have been different had Blacks and Jews been mostly allies, instead of antagonists. Black Lives Matter. Ha. They relate more with Hamas than they do with B'nai Brith. And it's a shame.

As I was walking home, I passed a house for sale -- just 3 down from us. The Millers lived there many years, but suffered a tragedy. Their handsome son, a longtime drug addict, killed himself. I met him several times -- he was a server at local restaurants -- and always pleasant and well mannered. Sadly, his demons won out. The Millers moved upstate, to escape, I'm sure, the memories.

The house was bought by the retired director of United Way -- an older fellow with a younger wife and young son. I only met them once -- not sure why they're out -- but economics may play a role. They paid just over $1.2M for the house right before Covid, and are now listing it for $2.75M. Wifey and I were inside once -- funky split level place built in the early 60s -- very nice 1/2 acre lot.

Anyway, a beautiful Corvette was cruising by, and the driver asked if I lived in the 'hood. He was with his wife, and they were house hunting. Did I like the neighborhood, he asked? Boy -- did he pick the right guy!

We chatted for about 20 minutes. He and his family moved here from Chicago last year -- he's an exec at Citadel, the huge private equity firm. They have 3 girls -- 8-12 in age. I felt like the president  of a fraternity who immediately wanted these folks as members.

I gave them chapter and verse about how wonderful a community we have. Their kids are in private school -- I explained how the public schools are just fine around here -- our Ds soared at Palmetto.

The wife said they missed their old area -- Highland Park. Their street had family get togethers. So do we!, I told her -- one for grownups and one family oriented. I told them the place was crawling with kids their daughters' age -- and we really wanted new, younger neighbors to go along with dinosaurs like Wifey and me.

We exchanged information, and I looked him up. Harvard undergrad and U Chicago MBA. Not a slouch of a guy. Plus his Corvette was way cool. I hope they decide to buy the house -- although it seems expensive, a guy in his position could probably easily afford a much more expensive place.

I shared my adventure with the Ds -- I know they're chuckling. They used to call me Caspar the Friendly Dad, and I guess I still am. Usually.

On the other side of the social spectrum, though, as I was walking in, I heard my name -- called out by my LEAST favorite neighbor. She was telling me to put up more signs urging a vote against an issue on our local ballot. After 2 minutes, I faked a call to get away. See? I'm still capable of being a mean guy when needed.

Wifey ordered Publix delivery, so I have some schlepping to do. We also have, by our standards, a busy week ahead.

Wednesday night, Rabbi Yossi and Nechama's son is getting married. They pick the 4th night of the week for luck -- plus -- it's January 18, another lucky number. The wedding is at a Hialeah Community Center which is apparently very nice and has hosted several Chabad weddings. So we'll attend -- sitting apart. I get to dance with dudes, which is fine, assuming there is sufficient vodka.

Saturday 11 of us are convening for dinner up in Delray. My man Paul put this together while Wifey and I were in France. Kenny and Joelle are going -- and Kenny's brother Larry is a late addition -- in town to visit their parents in Boynton. I haven't seen Larry in person since 1979 -- I look forward to it. He's a cardiologist on the Mainline in Philly.

Wifey suggested maybe we stay in a Delray hotel, but I told her Delray triggers me -- reminds me of many unpleasant trips when I was caring for my Mom. I love the fact that these days you can say something triggers you and get out of doing it.

Being woke isn't all bad.

No comments: