Sunday, January 15, 2023

Baby It's Cold Outside

 So the Arctic fronts of Winter finally made their way here to the 305, and this am it's 43 with a "feels like" of 39. Wow. The strange rescue dog barely wanted to go outside, and the special needs Spaniel looks up at me with a WTF expression. I imagine Mads, the spoiled Spaniel, is acting the same. Maybe only Betsy, half Great Pyranees and therefore a cold weather breed, is happy to be trotting around by the Bay -- but we haven't heard from her temporary single Dad Jonathan -- D2 is in the Turks and Caicos at a hen party until tomorrow.

We had a lovely time last night, with Joelle and Kenny. They had never been to Salvatore Ds before, even though they've been in Miami 15 years and Salvatore's has been open 13. I told them our history with the restaurant -- especially a poignant moment. Years ago, I was at the bar waiting for my still friend Vince, and a call came in from Stu -- telling me the awful news that James Gandolfini had died. I was struck -- he's my age, and one of my favorite all time actors -- especially as Tony Soprano.

I called Salvatore over -- he's from Naples, and shared the sad headline. He poured himself a whiskey, and we both toasted to the soul of Gandolfini -- teary eyed.

Anyway, the rest of the memories of that place have been joyful. It's my second favorite Italian place -- Il Gabbiano is first, but you don't need to take out a second mortgage to eat at Salvatore's.

We used to take our dear friend Elizabeth there when she stayed with us -- last night I recalled her beautiful face laughing over a glass of red wine. We rang in  New Year's one year with Deb and Norman -- Salvatore made it festive with a disco ball and music being played. And the Ds and their men have been there several times for various dinners.

Last night, I self suggested to myself what to order -- thinking about Detective McClusky in I: "Order the veal, Mike -- best in the city." So I had veal marsala, as did Joelle -- Wifey and Kenny went with fish.

Today, our wonderful grandsons are coming over, with their parents. D1, ever efficient, has already taken lunch orders from Roasters, which will be Uber-eated over. I prefer to avoid crowded delis on Sunday mornings -- well worth it to pay the Uber dude to fetch and deliver.

We'll probably take the 3 year old next door, to our neighbor's wonderful playground. Maybe a search for pavo royal (peafowl) and iguanas is in order, too, as well as feeding our pond fish. D1 and Joey so love coming here -- D1 calls it the family's "country house," and indeed it is.

The Dolphins are in their first playoff game in 7 years, but are expected to lose big. I'll check the score in between chasing the toddler, or playing with the 6 month old.

So it is indeed my favorite weather time of the year in Miami -- perfect sleeping weather at night, as we give the hard working AC units some time off.

Time to carry out that reluctant Spaniel...

No comments: