Saturday, January 28, 2023

A Day At The Races

 So traditionally Paul and I would have a year end meeting with our firm's comptroller Dennis, who happens to be my brother in law. He and my sister are newlyweds -- I believe they married in 1967.

We would typically meet at Christine Lee's at Gulfstream Park, eat Chinese and bet the ponies, along with Lou, Paul and now our Philly friend, who is a professional race handicapper. That professionalism means that typically we lose money more slowly over the course of the day. But it was a fun way to recap the following year and discuss new business.

Last year Dennis and my sister moved to the Tampa area to be closer to their daughter and her family, and I wasn't sure the annual meets would happen, but Dennis said he was willing to make the drive, and so we planned on our meet. Alas, Covid got him and my sister on a Xmas cruise, so the meet was off. But we rescheduled for yesterday.

It was to be a two part day: the track, and then to D1's where Dennis would get to finally meet my grandsons, which never happened before the move mostly because of Covid precautions. I had reservations for a nice Italian place near D1, would drop Wifey off at D1's to hang while we were at the track, and then a lovely family reunion and dinner.

Alas, the three year old caught a norovirus early in the week, and got over it in a day, but passed it to D1. She woke up yesterday with the identical gastrointestinal symptoms, and so the second part of the day was cancelled -- Wifey stayed home, and I headed directly to the track.

Paul thought it might be fun to also include our man Stu and his Dad Bill, who turns 89 in March. It was indeed a great time and a great idea, and an inspiration. Though Bill is physically slowed with age, he remains sharp as a tack and it was great to catch up with him. He's a Philly guy through and through, like Lou, and so Dennis and I, native NYers, found ourselves outnumbered 4-2 by Iggles fans, as they pronounce their team.

Dennis brought a fine bottle of Cab, and we shared it with the cocktails and classic old school Chinese. Dennis read the description from Stag's Leap, about its subtle fruit hints and tannins, and said "Pairs excellently with spare ribs and egg rolls." We all got a laugh.

Lou picked our horses, and, true to form, lost money slowly and not too much of it. I put in $125 and got back, I think, about $80 -- so it was a good financial day. And the track was abuzz -- today is their huge Pegasus Stakes, the biggest race in Florida, and they were setting up for it. The seats we occupied for the entire afternoon would have cost $250 today, and glitz would have been everywhere. We preferred the duck sauce.

But the real story for me was Dennis. He just turned 80, and looks and is amazing. He moves fast and talks fast -- the years have been his friend. I was sorry there was no later meet, as was D1 who I spoke to on the way home -- she didn't sound nearly as sprite as her uncle. Hopefully we get to reprise the day sooner than later.

Stu's Dad lives blocks from Dennis's hotel, so they dropped him back there, and I dropped off Paul at his place. I WAZED my way home, and my route went through very frum neighborhoods of North Miami Beach -- it was a hive of pre shabbos activity, with lots of wigged ladies and strollers.

I called Barry, since I figured we were both stuck in traffic on the Palmetto, which we were, going in opposite directions. Since my dinner plans were cancelled, he suggested we go ahead with the Zoom, which I set up upon arriving home. Alas, he had to bartend for himself, as Josh was in Orlando.

We chatted, and Wifey was happy -- she doesn't want to appear on camera, and I figured out a way to give my Zooms a background -- a lovely beach with palm trees waving in the breeze. It was a lovely end to our day at the track.

No comments: