Monday, November 21, 2022

Thankful and Thoughtful

 As a guy married to the same woman for nearly 36 years, I tend to look for variety in other arenas. Then again, my friends are mostly the same for at least 3 decades, and I've lived in the same house for 22 years now. Ok -- so I'm very much a creature of habit.

But today, as I arrived for my every 4 month visit with Lucy, my hygeniest, variety was sprung on me -- she wasn't there. The woman who has had exclusive access to my gums for nearly 30 years was out -- temporarily, hopefully, with carpal tunnel syndrome. She hopes to return in 2023. Instead of Cubana Lucy, a nice Asian woman met me -- Karen.

Turns out, Karen is a Venezuelan trained dentist, so I knew she could navigate fine around my molars. She had a West Indian accent -- she's originally from Guyana. She was very nice, bright, and pleasant, and complemented me on my rear teeth care, though scolded me about the front ones: "Ya gotta be more careful there!" She may or may not have ended that entreaty with a "Mon!"

She's been in the US 6 years, after she abandoned her dental clinic in Caracas, after being robbed several times at gunpoint, and being told by the Commie police that she "deserved it" for charging patients for care. Oh boy -- she said she's still shocked at having to have simply just up and left a career she had built over decades. And she wondered about neighboring Colombia and their new Leftist president -- didn't the population see what happens with these guys?

After she was done, we wished each other a happy T Day. And I realized I had TONS to be thankful for -- just in the fact that no one ever took my law practice at gunpoint!

In the thankful Department, Wifey and I finally saw the little men yesterday -- first time in three weeks! The adorable toddler was doing his best to melt Wifey's heart -- he actually sat on the couch with her and watched some Disney videos -- and his eyes and nose -- whole profile -- are unmistakably D1's -- giving Wifey a recapitulation of 3 decades of love.

The baby was his gorgeous marshmallow self -- huge blue eyes taking in the world -- content to be part of the scene.

We ordered food, as the record setting November rain waned, and then I got an inspiration which turned into an adventure. Joey, the toddler, and I would drive the 5 minutes to fetch the food from Pinch, the local gastropub we love. Joey and D1 suited the toddler up in his yellow slicker and boots, and then, as we were leaving, the sky opened up -- Summer Miami T storm drenching of rain. Well, we were men and so pressed on -- thankfully no floods stopped us.

When we arrived, since we had promised the little guy he'd get to go inside the restaurant, we took him, and then, as I carried out the food in the paper bag, the soaking rain literally melted the bag, so that when I put the food on baby brother's car seat, the bag gave way and some various sauces replaced the 4 month old.

We nonetheless battled home, and feasted. Joey removed the seat cover and it went into the wash. I warned D1 her vehicle might smell like brussel sprouts and gourmet burgers for awhile. Luckily she didn't yell at me -- just rolled her eyes at the latest aging Dad stunt.

I have a sense that even though the toddler is not yet 3 -- he may remember our little voyage. He kept remarking in Spanish how the rain "was so hard."

Wifey and I left for home -- still pouring rain! Turned out the rainfall broke the old record for November 20 by a multiple of 3!

The good news is, drying out is expected by T Day.

There are manifold reasons to be thankful this and EVERY Thanksgiving. And as messed up as our nation is, it ain't Venezuela. I have a feeling that half the guests due at our house Thursday will agree.

No comments: