Wednesday, November 9, 2022

A Lovely Cruise -- And A Trip Home That Took Longer Than Columbus's

 So the remainder of the trip was one of fine food, drink, historical sightseeing, and great company with Joelle and Kenny.

A highlight for Wifey and me on the sightseeing front was in Avignon, during a lovely walking tour. Our guide showed us the Palace of the Popes -- turns out Avignon was the Vatican before the Vatican. We also toured a wonderful food mart, where we would return days later for Kenny and I to enjoy some delicious oysters.

But our small group was 2 late 60 Jewesses from LA, a lovely VERY Texas WASPY lady who was amazingly well traveled, Wifey and me, and Bob. Bob was wearing a U Tennessee sweatshirt, and he gave me business about my Canes colors - well deserved. He said his alma mater, UT, WAS back, and would surely beat Georgia the following day. They didn't.

But put a couple of college football fans together, and they talk a lot about their beloved sports -- Bob was from Chatanooga and had an accent that Faulkner couldn't have described as Southern enough.

Anyway, the guide walked past a very old synagogue, and asked if anyone wished to visit. Wifey and I said yes, as did the 2 Jewessess from LA. The Texan said "I'm a Baptist, but very much a Zionist -- Jews are my older brothers and sisters -- so I definitely want to see it." Bob was silent.

The guide knocked, and a woman answered -- and after giving us the required look over, let us in. I noticed something -- Bob kissed the mezuzah, and like me, put on a kippah! I asked what he was doing, and he said "What do you mean -- I'm Jewish!" Turns out he was ZBT at UT in the 60s and is a 4th generation Southern Jew -- his wife is from Asheville. I called him exotic, but then told him about my sons in law -- Jewish men from Bogota and Caracas. "Now THAT THERE is exotic!" Bob said.

The tour was great. They had uncovered a matzah oven from the early 1800s,  and it was not in use. The caretaker, a Sephardic lady who spoke French and Spanish (no Ladino) told us about the building -- they had regular services, though Avignon is no major center of French Jewry. Still -- it was a neat stop.

A low point, which turned out not so bad, was in Tain D' Hermitage, another village with medieval stuff to see. Wifey and I had a walking tour, which she opted out of, on account of her being Le Lazy that day. Kenny and Joelle had signed up for a more vigorous hike up a hill for an amazing view of the village, as well as a Mary statue. I kept up, though winded, and the guide warned us of the wet conditions -- especialy as we descended. Sure enough, at a slick patch of grass, my too ample tuches went down -- luckily just a sore back for a day or so. The following day, in Arles, a lady got hurt much worse -- she had to be taken by ambulance for a split open head -- luckily no worse damage.

We ate. So well. Gourmet food everywhere. Wifey LOVED the Lumiere Museum most of all. We had a farewell dinner in Avignon with our friends -- delicious gourmet Italian -- and the next day left on a train for Marseille, and an absurdly early flight the next am for Madrid.

I had another aging moment -- after going through security -- my wallet was missing. I wasn't even sure how to call the Best Western to ask if it had fallen out in the van. But as the gate agent was helping us, I checked a rarely used compartment in my carry on -- for some dumb ass reason, I placed the wallet there! Ah -- a relief, and we were off to Madrid.

Iberia got us there just in time to spend a full 7.5 hours in the enormous Madrid airport. Fortunately, our  tix got us into the Dali Lounge, which had showers, a nap room, and delicious food changed every few hours. Eventually, we boarded the Airbus for the 9.5 hour flight home -- it took an entire 24 hours from when we left out hotel.

Kenny and Joelle trained to Barcelona -- where they extended their trip until Saturday, and then fly non stop home to Miami. That would have been a much smarter thing for us to do -- but I did get to finally see "30 Rock," a funny show somehow I never watched when it came out.

MIA was packed, but our Global Entry got us straight through passport control. The UBer lanes were a mess, so we old schooled it and took a taxi through the rainy streets.

Ah -- so great to be home! And Wifey got her long awaited trip -- so good all around.

Of course, we returned to the political news that Florida is essentially all red now. I always try to look on the bright side -- no more having to pay for abortions, or gifts for gay weddings. Oh boy.

A late season storm was brewing -- Hurricane Nicole -- but word just came it was headed North of us -- so hopefully no tree limbs to clear.

I came to the office to avoid Miriam, our house cleaner, and since the storm ALMOST hit -- I get to be in a totally quiet space -- ain't no law work happening here for the rest of the week. It's like the vacation never ends!

Next up -- Wifey has to get her act together with the caterer for T Day -- coming sooner than later. Looks like 20 of us, give or take. The turkey won't be gourmet, but it will be surrounded with love. And that is pretty, pretty nice.

No comments: