Friday, November 25, 2022

In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning

 I really enjoy going to sleep and waking early -- especially if I get enough sleep! So was the case last night to this morning -- I guess the turkey really DOES have tryptophan, and it has a relaxing effect.

I have a solid hour until sunrise. I fed the dogs, put away a few wine glasses, and started a laundry. I do my own laundry, a fact many of my friends who also have housekeepers find funny. But Miriam wrecked a lot of my fine (Ha!) shirts, and I just find it easier to do. Of course, I don't iron or fold -- THAT is work inappropriate for our demographic!

Anyway, T Day 2022 is in the books, and was the best ever. My sole criterion is whether Wifey is uptight, which causes me to lose my welcoming nature, and Wifey was the proverbial cucumber the whole day. The only blip was that she thought the table and chair rental company would set up -- they just opened the two large tables and left the dishes and tableclothes there, but somehow together we rallied and got it done.

I took my am walk, and caught up with hilarious Ellen. She told a tale of a nasty realtor and used the C word, which always cracks me up when a woman uses it about a fellow member of her gender. I ran into Elissa, whose son Mathew was a Silver Knight nominee, and we chatted as well.

I came home, and nephew of another brother Josh texted -- in the 'hood for a turkey trot at Tropical Park -- did I want to meet for coffee. I wanted to meet him, but not leave the house into the tensosity of late T Day shoppers, and so invited him over. We drank coffee and discussed life, as usual. His family was hosting a small T Day later in the afternoon.

Josh left and Maria and Vladimir came -- Vladimir schlepped in all the heavy equipment, and Maria, a tiny little lady from Peru, set about preparing the feast. Vladimir left, and Maria set out a spread that looked like Norman Rockwell paintings of the horn of plenty. And the food was delicious.

Jonathan's parents, sister, and wonderful Grandma Judy arrived, and then Joey's parents and brother followed suit. Soon came Jonathan's other sister, brother in law Yoni, and their central casting adorable toddler, Naomi, with curly red hair!

 I mixed cocktails and poured wine, as D2 and Jonathan joined the party, telling guests Dave's rule. I make your first drink, and then you're responsible for further drinks -- knowing where the bar and supplies are. Joey and his Mom and brother went with G and Ts -- Jonathan tequila, and Yoni some Japanese whiskey. I cracked open a Stoli Elit for myself -- it was indeed an elite day.

We drank and everyone feasted on fruit and cheese, and then D1 and Joey came -- with ebullient toddler and chill baby brother. They were beaming, and the toddler realized there was a year younger girl toddler there, too, and made for some priceless scenes with her -- either sharing a toy or grabbing it away.

Everyone filled their plates, and I offered a simple toast -- all around the table were extremely blessed, and none more than me -- for the families my Ds brought to our lives. And then we dug in.

I wrestled control of the TV remote from the Columbians, who were interested in that silly World Cup thing, and once Brazil dispatched Serbia, I think, I put on real sports -- American football. Yoni, American Israeli, Alan, and I had some discussions about the actual sport -- especially the Dolphins surprising success of late.

The hours flew past. We re gathered in the dining room for birthday cake for D1 -- she turns 34 on Sunday. Then came the discussion about why Publix makes such awesome cakes. They are, in fact, delicious. After that, some more toddler play -- they realized it was enormously fun to jump from the ottoman to the couch, into the waiting arms of grandpas -- and then people started making their way for home.

We packed up a few with leftovers. Joey's Mom and I tearfully recalled how last T Day, there was question about whether D1 had a viable pregnancy. Well, the now nearly 5 month old bouncing baby gave the blissful answer.

And as we walked the matriarch Judy to her car, she grabbed me and reminded me that "our project worked out very well, didn't it?" She was talking about the marriage of her beloved grandson to my beloved daughter. Indeed it did.

Tiny Maria was cleaning up, and I realized her schlepper Vladimir wasn't coming back. Maria, too classy to share staffing issues, was going to do all the heavy lifting of the serving equipment herself. Not on my watch -- so I got my evening's exercise -- helping her load all the stuff back into her car. She hugged Wifey and me, though Wifey said "I'm so tired from doing no work, but can't get off the couch" and Maria hugged her anyway.

I gave her a large cash tip above the included tip and she was very appreciative. Not as much as we were for her work in providing a banner T Day.

Today, hopefully the tree trimmer is finally coming -- so I can get off the "worst pool"  list from our company -- the ancient ficus drops leaves each week, and the pool guy told me we are his toughest job. The tree guy was delayed by the storms, but hopefully today can do his work, so the pool tech won't dislike me as much.

I also have to call an electrician back -- the landscape lights  fried the timer box in the recent huge rains, I think, leaving night walks from the street to our house pretty perilous. Ah, homeownership.

So all in all, a lovely early am with the afterglow of a sacred family celebration. I am one blessed, rocking Daddy in the USA.

No comments: