Friday, November 18, 2022

I Don't Need Any Other Thing

 In college, Barry and I saw "The Jerk" together, and, since we loved Steve Martin so much, loved the movie. Years later I would get to meet Bernadette Peters, who co starred in it, and told her how much I loved the movie. I only saw it once, but recall vividly one scene:

Steve Martin is leaving home, and announces that he is going with nothing -- "I don't need anything." But in his hilarious way, he picks up stuff he indeed DOES need, like ashtrays, and umbrellas, and ends up naked but with his hands full of possessions as he slinks away.

I relate to that, as I always like to proclaim I am not into material possessions...BUT. I really enjoy my Sonos music system, and computer, and flat screen TV. I guess it's fair to say I have zero use for collectible stuff that has no utility -- if another Hurricane Andrew came and wrecked everything we own, other than the photos, I truly wouldn't care. I'd just get a better Sonor, TV, and I pad.

I also really like my Encode (TM) smart lock. It lets you in and out with a code, and I can unlock it from anywhere with my phone. Of greatest utility, I check its history on Wednesdays, to know when the cleaning lady Miriam leaves, so I can avoid my encounters where, thinking I speak Spanish better than I do, she gives me a list of stuff we need. I prefer to let Wifey and her Google translate do that job.

Well -- the Encode died -- at least the keypad part did. I called customer service and learned it was under warranty -- a full 3 years -- and ours was 2.5 years old. They were sending a replacement, but, alas, it was on back order due to Covid and the Chinese -- I wasn't clear. Wifey said no problem -- we would just go back to using the "inconspicuous frog." That was a metal frog that opened, and always held the front door key. One of D1's friends gave it that name and it stuck. The original frog broke, and Wifey bought a replacement, but I was sure Wifey would forget to put the key back, on account of we both forget to do lots of things, and somehow I would be asked to deal with someone needing access to our house.

So I went online and just bought a new Encode -- figuring when I eventually get the replacement, I'll give it away as a nice gift. And then I called Kobi the Israeli locksmith, and today he installed the new Encode. Ah -- equanimity returns to our small world.

So I don't need anything...except! And now there is electronic access again.

Meanwhile, D1 hosted a lovely 34th birthday gathering last night -- a "make your own chocolate" party at a shop in South Miami. Wifey and D2 attended, with a few friends, and had a blast -- lecture about the history of chocolate, and what makes for great stuff.

A ha! I pointed out to Wifey that it sounded like our trip to the truffle dog/winery in France, where we learned a lot about a delicacy -- and this event was right in South Miami! So really -- there was no longer any need to go to Europe for these types of experiences.

Wifey wasn't buying it. After the winery/truffle dog, we were still in a gorgeous medieval village. Last night, "I walked outside to a parking lot in a SUBURB." The word suburb to Wifey gets said like she is saying "death camp" lately. I rather like my suburb...

D1 and Joey are busy tomorrow, and so we will visit Sunday. We haven't seen out little men in nearly 3 weeks! Yeah -- having them out of town would be a non starter -- they need to be in our bailiwick. 

Luckily, the Canes are on tomorrow -- though they're likely going to lose big, at Clemson. That's ok -- they're playing possum for next year -- when they're really good.

After tomorrow there's one game left -- the Saturday after T Day. It's Norman AND Kenny's birthday, and both will be tailgating. The game is at night, so it'll be a fine final tailgate.

I really don't need anything. But I need tailgate parties...

No comments: