Wednesday, November 23, 2022

My Single Errand

 I am unapologetically spoiled when it comes to hosting T Day. I choose to spend money on making the day easy and enjoyable. Wifey and I do not cook, so we hire caterers. This year, Wifey told me to hit the garage and bring in some folding tables and chairs. Nope -- not even doing that -- and so she made some calls and got a party rental company to do that, too.

I buy no clothes or jewelry for myself. I dress like I did in college -- actually, not as well, as I don't need to impress the ladies now. So when I splurge -- it's on experiences, and making them better for those I love.

But there was ONE errand, and I undertook it this am. D1's birthday is always near T Day, and Wifey ordered a pair of Publix cakes for the post lunch celebration -- would I go fetch them at Publix? Fine -- I would indeed.

I don't know that I've been inside a supermarket since Covid -- and Publix really is amazing. I walked to the bakery to get the cakes -- nope -- they streamlined the process. You go to customer service and pay there -- no line -- and they bring the cakes to you. I accomplished said mission.

The Pinecrest Publix has bad ingress/egress, and I got stuck waiting for traffic to leave. Right by my car, a young woman was standing with 2 girls and a sign. She was raggedly dressed and dirty, as were the girls. I immediately thought of an article I read -- there are gypsies in South Florida, especially this time of year, and do stuff like this as a scam. Indeed, the three looked Romany -- dark hair and all. The sign said "We are homeless -- please help so we can get a hotel tonight."

I decided to assist -- but with a life lesson instead of mere money. I motioned her over, and said "Look -- you have clearly made poor life choices, which have imperiled not only yourself, but your lovely, innocent daughters. You need to find a better man. My friends and I are all mules -- we support well our wives and children, so they don't need to be on the streets of Pinecrest. I strongly suggest you find your own mule."

Nah.. I handed her a $10 bill and wished her well --asking the Big Man to watch over her and her girls -- scam or not.

But I drove out indeed thankful -- for the life choices I made, mostly. More importantly, I am thankful for the partners my beloved Ds chose -- men who love them, enjoy their lives, but share my mule-ness at heart. The great Sydney Poitier said the measure of a man is how he takes care of his family. That's the single criterion in my book -- all else is apocrypha.

Wifey and I spoke last night with our Boston friend -- in the hospital most of each day for the past month with her stroke stricken boyfriend. She did plan to visit a friend's for T Day, and then a visit with her daughter and grandkids later in the evening. Still -- she sounded so lost -- not the future she had planned with her fine man.

Another dear friend will be spending T Day in the hospital with her 91 year old father -- recovering from a heart condition, and in in patient rehab.

Paul and I talked about our situations in that regard -- having acquitted our duties for our elderly parents. Paul's Dad died young -- a bit older than my Dad -- but without requiring long term care. His Mom had a more gradual decline -- as did my Mom and in laws.

We miss them, but think only warm thoughts -- zero guilt about the care we gave all of them when they needed it.

Our Boston friend knows that phase is coming for her parents, too -- 90 and 89. They're still in good shape -- snow birds now in Aventura for the Winter -- but for how long?

Tom Petty's great lullaby says "We're all right...for now." Indeed. And for that my gratitude is huge.

No comments: