Monday, November 14, 2022

My Sonos

 I'm very tech backward, but was convinced, after we did some redecorating, to get a Sonos sound system. Turns out it's become my favorite material possession.

The sound bar sits below our TV, and provides better sound than the TV has, and there is a second channel, if it's called that, that lets me play music in some speakers in my living room ceiling and front porch. I also bought a little portable unit that I can carry anywhere in the yard.

My typical morning, before Wifey wakes up and puts on old movies on the TV, is to have on WDNA playing softly in the background as I play or work on the computer. Some days, like today, I treat myself to old favorites like the Grateful Dead. As I type, Casey Jones is happily playing.

Sad news morning. I just read about a terrible shooting at the UVA -- 3 dead, and some loser nut gunman on the loose. Barry and Scott were just there a few weekends ago to watch the Canes beat The Grapes, as we call UVA. I followed along with the game from a Bouchon in Lyon -- and saw the Canes won in 4 overtimes by 2. I was perplexed -- didn't know OT rules, but Kenny figured it out -- have to go for 2 point conversions at a certain point in OT.

Oh boy. I don't like that people sacred to me probably walked right where a shooting took place a fortnight later -- but that's America these days.

Also, an original Marlin, Chuck Carr, died. I used to love to watch him play in the early days of the team -- he was a blazing speedster. He was 55.

We got to FaceTime (tm) with the adorable toddler and his marshmallow brother several times. D1 is speaking more and more English to him, and his Spanish accent is adorable. Thankfully the bad cold the French/Spanish sent me home with is on the wane -- I need to hug those little guys this week. The toddler offered Wifey and I his rice cake over the phone last night. We melted.

Meanwhile, an unpleasant encounter awaits: my visit to Bob Puig, urologist -- he with fingers like a longshoreman's. Covid had a benefit -- only telehealth for awhile -- but that has ended, and if I want my prostate shrinking meds renewed, he wants a very intimate encounter. Maybe today he'll offer to buy me breakfast first.

Our Boston friend has gone public on FaceBook about her boyfriend's tragic stroke, so I can now use her name, Sheryl. We spoke to her the other night -- she sounded, predictably, awful -- looking forward to more travels with her wonderful companion, and now making plans for a nursing home for him -- and he's 67.

The blackjack table of life sometimes deals out terrible hands.

Meanwhile -- there is some legal work to do this week -- depos in the continuing, craven fight for filthy lucre in a settled case stolen from us by Fredo. Fredo's sworn deposition has now proven totally false -- maybe his old firm will finally realize the untenable position he put them in and pay us our money down, as the old Calypso song goes. Whatever.

Also there is a mid week wedding! Norman's middle boy Michael is getting married up on my ancestral home -- the mythical Isle of Long. Very few live attendees will be there, but we plan to tune in at 1 on Thursday. A wise ass friend asked if I sent a virtual gift -- a photo of something off the registry -- but we sent a real one, of course. I look forward to someday meeting his about to be wife -- sounds like a very interesting woman, who shares his love of geneology and history. They've only just begun, as the Carpenters sang.

TDay is a week from Thursday, and Wifey tells me we're all set. I plan to set my Sonos on Sinatra -- I love my hero singing in the background as we greet those near and dear.

Ah -- at my age, simple tech victories are so satisfying.

No comments: