Monday, November 28, 2022

Shockingly Naive

 So after the rains the landscaping lighting stopped working -- pretty sure the time boxes got shorted out. The job can be handled by Nestor, our handyman, but he's been too busy lately, and so I decided to call the last electrician I used, Arcs and Sparks. They had done a bunch of repair work and I was happy with them.

I called Friday. No answer. So I went online, and found Mr. Sparky, who charges $59 for the visit fee, but were available to come Monday. I booked an appointment.

At around 9 today, two nice young Cuban American fellows pulled up in the Mr. Sparky truck -- one, Damian, an electrician, and the other, Ralph, a trainee. Damian looked at the timer boxes, but wasn't too interested in them. He then headed to the breaker panels, and removed the covers of the 2 main ones. I have a third for use with a generator I have never used.

Damian started explaining that my house, built in 1997, had "old equipment," including only a single grounding rod, and I really needed it upgraded. I told him I had zero interest -- just repair the broken landscape lighting.

He was smooth and insistent and finally said he could "diagnose" the landscape lighting for $350, and if 2 timer boxes needed replacing, it would cost $1250. Got it -- I told him to kindly replace the breaker panel covers and leave.

Well -- he could NEGOTIATE a lower fee for the repair -- he was already here, after all. I was nice but put on my serious voice; "Damian. You don't know me nor need to. Once I decide against doing business with a company -- that is FINAL."

Wifey, in her own world as always, asked if they could give an estimate for some motion detector lights out front. I tried to explain it to her -- her late father's mentation kicked in, and she kept insisting. Finally, I said "Wifey --we will NOT be doing any business with these nice young men." She finally let loose her pitbull-like grip.

I came inside and did a search about Mr. Sparky. Sure enough, there were many complaints -- they try to upsell each job, and scare elderly (hey -- that's ME now!) customers into jobs "so your house doesn't burn down."

A pox upon them. These days, there is so much work, and so few electricians, you really don't need to rip people off. I guess that's just Mr. Sparky's business plan.

Well -- they got $59 out of me. Damian actually emailed me -- pictures of my breaker panel with his suggestions about how it SHOULD look. Young dude is sin verguanca, or shamelss, as the Cubans say.

He mentioned that he and his wife couldn't afford Miami houses, and were planning a move to Tampa. Apparently Mr. Sparky rips customers off statewide. I hope he has no victims on the Gulf Coast.

Meanwhile, I called Nestor back. He can come later this week, and is more than qualified to fix the problem. He is also going to replace some concrete steps at the front of the house -- he did a great job on some at the back. The man knows his contracting.

As for these ripoff artists: I guess nothing should shock me anymore. Ha.

No comments: