Thursday, November 17, 2022

Distinguished Young Men

 I really, really despise exercising. Other than walking, my natural state is stasis. But I have become convinced that if I don't do mobility and strength training, I shall end up oldER than I am -- before my time -- confined to a walker or some such indignity. It may well happen anyway, but at least I'll give it the old college try.

Several years ago, Kenny got me involved in a gym nearby -- Sensory Fitness. Kenny and I were the old guys in a workout class filled with, well, let's say non attractive challenged young Mom types, and I was the class dunce. So the owner, Enrique, suggested private classes, which I enjoyed. Enrique and I became friends.

As he got busier and busier as the owner, he foisted me off on Juan, a great young Brazilian fellow D2's age. I really like Juan, though weekly I tell Wifey "I HATE that MF" since he makes me move in ways contrary to my usual position on the couch.

Anyway, as men of different generations (they're millennials) I always talk about Captain's Tavern, a bastion of old person gringo dining in Miami. We talked for months about a field trip -- including Dr. Mike, the resident PT who has cured me of both a bad shoulder and 2 bouts of bad hips. And last night was chosen as the night it would occur.

Dr. Mike bowed out last minute for young Dad duties, but Enrique and Juan and I met at the bar. My son in law Jonathan, when I dragged him there, reported the sushi was as good as anywhere, and Juan agreed. Enrique and I shared some, and then ordered yellow tail and halibut. They loved the food,and we shared tales of our varying childhoods (Cuban Miami for Enrique, Sao Paulo then Miami for Juan, and the Isle of Long for me).

We're all married, and joked about how originally Joelle thought Enrique and co owner Guillermo were REAL partners -- not just co owners. Enrique loves that -- he happens to be an interior designer, soft spoken and well groomed, and got that a lot. Juan assumed the same thing when he went to work for the gym.

But we three are all decidedly NON homophobic -- in fact we agreed that single men ought to embrace the fact that handsome gay men are a good deduction in the competition for beautiful women. Yeah -- it was that kind of politically incorrect night.

Anyway -- lovely time, and I have to go meet Juan later this am. Paying for dinner was also a nice thing -- Monday I got a prepaid debit card in the mail from Chrysler Credit -- for $385! Turns out I had overpaid when I paid off the Jeep now owned by D2 and Jonathan. I get happy when I find a $20 in my jeans pocket -- getting nice dinner for several guys out money in the mail -- I won the lottery!

I plan to spend the balance this am -- breakfast with my nephew of another mister, Josh -- in the area for an appointment.

At 1, I have a wedding -- Norman's boy Michael getting married on Zoom. Actually, he and a few humans will be in attendance -- we watch by Zoom. It will be a nice and unusual Thursday afternoon -- watching THAT distinguished young man take a big step in his life.

No comments: