Monday, March 28, 2022

Well THAT Was a Crappy Three Days

 Thursday night, when I got up from my game watching chair and started shivering like I was left on an ice floe, I KNEW I wasn't in for any garden variety cold or flu. And, as it turned out, Covid-19 was as advertised.

It was the worst I've ever felt, from a flu bout I had years ago, compressed into three days. I felt awful -- watching the clock for the next allowable dose of Tylenol, and drinking gallons of tea and soup to stay hydrated.

The wedding I was supposed to officiate for went off beautifully -- I got lovely pix. But by the time of the ceremony, my voice was nearly gone from laryngitis -- so even my offer to do the thing via Zoom would have been worthless. Thankfully, the bride's best friend and cousin performed admirably.

Late last evening, after the Canes blew their game against Kansas, I finally started feeling a tad better. The kids ordered in Akashi, which is Japanese for "good sushi but a cluster of a place to visit -- so only get it on Uber Eats." I ordered the juvenile chicken teriyaki, and it was the first food I enjoyed in awhile. I LOVE to eat, and am always hungry. The fact that this coronavirus took that from me said volumes..

I made it to bed after the Oscars were on, but before Will Smith punched Chris Rock. No big deal -- it'll be replayed for months to come.

Don Rickles was lucky he performed in another time. With his insults, Will Smith would have busted a 9 cap into his tuches. Rock got off easy.

I eschewed the Tylenol PM with a bit of trepidation -- and was still able to sleep. This am I awoke, and heard Gloria Estefan's song "Coming Out of The Dark" playing in my head as I descended the stairs.

I'm still only about 75%, but feel FAR better than I have the last few days.

Turns out that Covid 19 is some pretty serious crap after all.

So I plan to treat Villa Wifey, for the next few days, like one of those old European sanitoriums -- sitting on rocking chairs, drinking tea, and taking the fresh air and sunlight cure.

It sure sucks to be sick. I truly hope this is our family's last dance with the Plague.

I was talking last night with Dr. Eric -- he's still not ready to travel by plane. I totally get it. But Wifey and my tickets to D.C. on AA were non refundable -- so they DID offer us credits. We have until February of 2023 to use them. Hopefully by then we'll be ready to jet off somewhere again.

As for today, I feel like the old Jewish lady in one of Wifey's favorite jokes: in a Pullman car in the 40s, she whines incessantly "Oy am I thoisty!" Finally, her bunkmate gets up, walks through the whole train, and finds her some ice water -- giving it to her so he can finally get some rest. As he is about to finally drift off to slumber, he hears the old lady: "Oy, WAS I toisty!"

And so it is with me -- was I miserable! Thankfully, it seems to have passed.

No comments: