Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Man Date

 So over the last months at the gym, I've met a nice fellow -- he works out with Enrique, one of the owners, and my personal trainers. I joke that Enrique left me for Frank because he's younger and prettier, but the truth is, Frank and his buddies brought 10 clients to the gym and Enrique works Frank out as a favor -- he's transitioning to total administrative work, anyway.

But Frank and I chat -- he's the father of a 2 year old girl, and like me a rabid Canes fan, even though he's an FIU graduate. He's also is WAY better shape than I am -- but less funny. When he benches 250 lbs (far more than he weighs) I joke that much less weight would be much easier for him.

Anyway, last week he asked me on a date for coffee. I guess this is what happens in real life with single people who meet at the gym -- they chat, and later go out, and maybe things heat up from there. But Frank and I are pretty obviously straight -- or so it appears! I kind of figured out he might be wanting to see if I had interest in investing in his company -- he's a mortgage banker.

So yesterday I met him at Pinecrest Bakery on 121 Street. He was drinking a Cuban coffee -- he bought me a cortadito. He was wearing a white sweater and well fitting jeans. Ha. It wasn't that kind of date.

We chatted for well over an hour. In fact -- his company had PLENTY of funding. He just wanted to pick my brain about running a successful small business -- Enrique had suggested this -- and how I had networked my way to semi retirement at 60.

He was already on the right path -- his company was doing well. He has several employees - his "sweet spot" for deals is houses in the $1-$2M range, but he always takes a smaller deal knowing the person might well later come back with a larger one.

He's a classic Miami guy -- born to Cuban exiles -- his Dad owned 3 gas stations. He went to Colombus High, and then to UF. His grandfather, who was a second Dad to him, got sick, and so he moved back to Miami and finished his studies at FIU. I told him his path was like Wifey's -- her one year stint at FSU was truncated when her Mom got ill -- and she too transferred to FIU.

His wife taught at South Miami -- she's a UM grad. But they have a gorgeous 2 year old girl -- and like Wifey after D1 was born -- his wife simply can't leave their little girl to return to work. He suspects she will soon -- the toddler is starting pre school next month.

I shared with Frank two life changing stories -- how I got 2 career changing cases as a result to doing much earlier favors for people. He ate it up.

I offered to send him contact information for several real estate lawyer friends -- he gets deals from them, and realtors, and divorce lawyers! After a divorce, there's typically the sale of the marital house and then purchase of two new ones. I hadn't made that connection, but it makes total sense.

He's a winner, this young fellow. He's also caring for his aging parents -- he's an only child - and his Dad had a fall recently, fracturing an elbow. I told him he might want to take Papi to my friend Lew -- an excellent hand surgeon. He was going to set that up. 

I told him that back in 1991, a woman called me about a med mal case I knew wouldn't be a case -- but I had her come to my office thinking maybe Lew would get a new patient -- he had just started his practice. The woman showed up with a grievously hurt child -- who ended up our real client -- and changed the course of my professional career.

It's nice to mentor young folks on the professional make -- especially when they're truly interested in learning what you have to teach.

In related news, D1 is back behind the podium! She was asked to teach a class at Keiser U, a local college that has a Dietetics program. They're paying her nicely, and she's driving up to Miramar a few mornings a week -- live school again, thanks Big Man! She is a truly gifted professor -- and has a lot to share with puppy dietitians about their chosen careers.

Frank and I agreed to keep seeing each other once in awhile -- for coffee and lunch. I have little doubt he's a young man on the rise.

No comments: