Tuesday, March 1, 2022

The Busy, For Us, Week

 The Ds have correctly pointed out that Wifey and I, particularly during the Plague, do very little. Wifey DID go to ATL (and came home with Covid) and had another 2 nights on South Beach with her BFF Edna, but I have been most happy to travel little and do little as well. Hey -- I'm 60! Given my paternal line of longevity, I'm an old freaking man.

But last Thursday my nephew Henry came to town. He was here doing a video project for one of his Bay Area clients, and, alas, came with a nasty stomach bug, which his lovely wife Valerie had as well. His work days in Miami were a slog, and when he came to us on Thursday, was still under the weather.

Still -- the Ds were committed to show the only first cousin they have contact with a fine time, and made reservations for Friday and Saturday nights. We had a great time.

Friday am I took Henry to LOL, my go-to deli. He lives in Boulder Creek, a small town East of Santa Cruz, and that part of California is bereft of delis. We caught up on our lives, and I was so happy to hear how well his company does -- he now routinely has to turn away clients he would have died to obtain in his early days.

Also, he's nearing completion of a documentary about his brother and his challenges with mental illness and substance abuse. As well as Henry's life has turned out, his brother's has been an utter challenge. Henry is a gifted filmmaker -- I look most forward to seeing his finished product.

Friday night we met on Brickell -- at the SLS's Michael Schwartz restaurant. D1 drove down to meet us -- Joey was in Cartegena on his annual brother/cousin golf trip -- and we enjoyed fine food and great conversation. Henry couldn't drink, on account of his stomach, so I felt it my uncle duty to make up for him. Wifey drove home.

Saturday D1 came over with the Little Man, whom Henry hadn't met. We walked next door -- the neighbors have a great tot lot -- and watched the Little Guy climb and run and laugh. Tio Jonathan made him some "Special coffee," which was whipped and warmed milk, and the Little Man drank it up, leaving a comical milk moustache.

Saturday night the Ds met for facials, and we repaired to the Commodore, the bar in the Grove. As Jonathan, his friend Michael, Henry and Wifey sat with our cocktails (not Henry or Wifey), I saw a familiar looking fellow, most spiffy in a tailored tux. It was my dear friend Barry's boss -- Dean of the Med School. I struck up a conversation with him and his lovely wife, who is a lawyer, not yet licensed in Florida. They introduced me to a visiting peds surgeon from LA, where the Dean worked before coming to the 305. They were delightful.

From there we walked to Planta, a vegan restaurant. Henry finally ate -- he much prefers plant based food and was feeling better. And the food was tasty and creative. But what can I say? I'm a steakhouse kind of guy...

Sunday am we loaded Henry's video equipment into Wifey's SUV and it was off to MIA. He made it home fine. Wifey and I napped while D2 and Jonathan visited his family in Aventura.

In the afternoon I booked a trip to Atlanta -- Edna's girl Erica is having an engagement party. And then, as I was booking the hotel, I realized I had a conflict -- my friend Jacqui's wedding. Jacqui asked me to perform the ceremony, which was set for January and then omicroned to March.

Wifey called Edna. It was sad -- like telling two 9 year old girls that their trip to Disney was canceled. But, alas, my commitment trumps an engagement party. Hopefully we get to make the wedding.

We're still on for D.C. last day of March. If the trip happens, it will be my first time on a plane since December of '19. My nephew of another brother, Scott, who we're going to visit, reported last night that the cherry blossoms ought to be in full bloom.

I also hope to see my childhood friend John, a retired CIA agent who wrote a great book about Saddam Hussein and his interrogation of him. But now John is doing consulting work about Russia -- he may be a tad busy when we come to town.

Still -- we're doing more than we have. Hopefully the Plague stays at bay. It's nice to do things out of the house.

No comments: