Friday, March 11, 2022

How To Anger A Customer Of A Certain Age

 So Wifey decided it may be time to upgrade our internet to fiber service. She likes the idea of wireless "cable boxes" for the TVs, and I mentioned ATT was running a special on the new, improved internet. So she called, left her number for call back, and was reached by a nice young man.

He promptly asked the account number. No way Wifey had that. Then a passcode. She got it wrong. Then he got to a challenge question "Who is your favorite singer?" She quickly answered "Joni Mitchell," and the young agent chuckled.

Wifey asked him what was so funny, and I began to laugh, too, explaining that her choice immediately identified her as a woman of a certain age. She countered that I might have said "Frank Sinatra" -- did that make me a WW II era guy? No -- Sinatra is timeless, I answered. Even millennial hipsters dig Sinatra -- but Joni Mitchell -- well -- she was the provence of Boomer females. Simple as that.

Ah -- aging. We got a text this am from friends visiting from Boston -- did we care to meet for dim sum at Tropical Chinese? I thought it sounded good -- but Wifey remembered she had to get a Covid test ahead of a routine diagnostic test coming Monday.

It occurs to me we need some younger friends -- as do friends of ours. Our 30 year old houseguests seem to have a lot more fun. Hell -- I'm looking forward to a Zoom cocktail party tonight -- the Canes will be on playing Duke in an ACC semi final game. If I was younger -- I'd go watch the game at a local sports bar. I prefer to stay home.

On the other hand -- age does have its benefits. I spent a delicious afternoon with my grandson -- walking with him to another toddler's park, observing a swim lesson, and having dinner together. I really hope the Big Man keeps me around long enough to watch him grow to a young man. That would be something.

Meanwhile -- we're in a March heat wave -- temps in the high 80s today and tomorrow. Tomorrow night will come probably the final cool front of the year -- probably my last use of my fire pit. Oh well. Adios beautiful weather.

It'll be nice until May, and then the tropical stuff will be here. I definitely see the wisdom of the snow bird, as much as I made fun of them when I was younger. Hopefully we'll get to some cooler climes this summer and Fall.

Two dear friends told me separately today they'd really love to retire. They have high pressure jobs, and at 60 and 58 it's a bit much. I totally get it. If I had to, I would of course go back to work full time, but I very much savor the part time gig.

In the mean time, I plan to go onto my different accounts and change my favorite singer to "Drake." We'll see if that gives the smarmy young agents a chuckle...

No comments: