Sunday, March 6, 2022

Staycation

 No Norman texted on Friday -- if he could score an outdoor table at Lazy Lobster, in Key Largo, would Wifey and I like to join him and Deb? We would, he did, and we went.

It's a 50 minute drive from Palmetto Bay, but a lovely drive. Waze confirmed we ought to take Card Sound Road, and we crested the bridge in the near sunset light -- it was gorgeous.

The trip gave us a nice chance to catch up -- we hadn't been together with our couple friends since July, at my 60th birthday meetup in Key Biscayne. Covid's kept Deb close to the ground, but she's been feeling stronger every day, as Chicago sang.

Lazy Lobster is a favorite -- we had one subpar meal there, only, on our way home from Key West with Kenny and Joelle, but the dinners have been fine. Last night was the same -- delicious fresh fish -- and just iced tea for me. They only have beer and wine, but also Ketel Spritzers. I told the server those are an affront to vodka, in my view.

The two couples have 7 grown kids among us, and it's nice to compare notes as they move along on their life's journeys.

The drive home was right up US 1 -- and we were treated to a Cheshire Cat grinning moon to the West. The time literally flew by.

I awoke to see that our Millennial houseguests had come home near 3 am -- my electronic lock gave me the beep. They had gone out to celebrate their friend Tara and Scott's birthdays.

And then I got a text and email from my bank -- there had been "suspicious activity" on one of my cards, and they declined the charges. It was several Uber charges of amounts ranging from $75 down to $4. I texted back they weren't mine, and they said they'd cancel the charges and send me a new card.

I followed up by checking online, and there were a few more charges and credits, so I called the bank fraud number and spoke to a very lovely young lady in Delaware -- she cleaned those up, too. Again -- part of modern life.

And then, in a humorous twist, a tired D2 came in to tell me it wasn't some European fraudsters -- it was her and Jonathan! Turns out that I had given Jonathan my credit card to use to order Uber Eats a few weeks back, and it somehow stuck in his account. As they Ubered their way back from Miami Beach, and tried to alter the trip to drop off friends, the algorithm of my card -- knowing an old kvetch like me NEVER charges at 2 am, let alone Uber, declined to pay.

The young-uns simply switched to their card and made it home fine. And I get a shiny new card in the mail this week.

Today the roommies are hard at work, and Wifey and I were hard at rest. Maybe we'll bring in dinner together.

Most importantly for Wifey, a strong breeze is blowing. She LOVES breezes. And last night in Key Largo, there was a lovely one. We had it all -- just like Bogey and Bacall...

No comments: