Saturday, March 5, 2022

Additional Properties

 So yesterday I had breakfast with Mike and Chris, and Mike was understandably excited about a closing that just took place -- he and Loni bought a vacation/rental house in far Western North Carolina. It's about 2.5 hours west of Atlanta, where they have some family, and the plan is to spend family holidays like Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas there, with their LA daughter who'd fly to ATL and meet them.

He reminded me of the excitement Kenny and Joelle have about their place, where Wifey and I visited -- a lovely home right on a lake NW of Portland, Maine. They consider it their real home, even though they're snowbirds, and just bought a spiffy new condo in the Grove. They wouldn't consider renting out their Maine house -- instead scheduling visits for the whole Summer of friends and family. We begged off last year on account of my fear that Wifey might have trouble navigating a connecting flight -- there's no nonstops from MIA to Portland, and only an hour between planes at LGA.

I have always enjoyed being around people who love their hobbies, even if the hobbies don't interest me. Years ago, when Eric returned from Boston a golfer, and local friends Pete and Gene would play with him, after a few weeks of my destroying greens with my ineptitude, I took to being the guy who drove the cart -- I enjoyed the fraternity, but not at all the game. To this day, golf holds zero interest, which may become more of a problem, as I know my golfing son in law Joey will want to golf with the Little Man. I guess I'll have another gig driving the cart.

But as for owning an additional house -- absolutely no way for me. As Mike was telling me the details of his new place, all I could think of was the hassle of overseeing repairs and renovations -- and I'd run from that.

Just this week, as Villa Wifey turns 25, I hired a roofer and electrician for repairs. We have some pool lights that haven't worked in awhile, and some outdoor halogen lamps under the roof eaves that burnt out during the 2nd W administration. They're being replaced with LED lamps that, the young electrician assured, would last "longer than the house." I told him they just need to outlast ME.

As for the roof, every few years I replace rotting decking -- fortunately over the outside areas -- so no leaks. But these two jobs together exceed $12K -- the cost of ownership, I know.

Wifey and I were discussing it last night. She and I are in total agreement -- she NEVER wants to own another house. She figures it would make her feel she had to visit there -- and we've learned we love family vacations in various spots -- spending the money on more luxurious hotels for our Full Squad.

And as far as being the owner of, essentially, a part time AirBnb? As I told Wifey, when I buy shares of Apple, Tim Cook never calls me at 9 pm on a Saturday to report a problem with the money I invested. The same isn't true of even a property manager one might hire.

So -- as Dirty Harry said -- a man's gotta know his limitations. And for me, I'm limited to a single house, and can't imagine ever having that change.

I guess my whole aversion to owning stuff was always there, but it became set in my psychic stone after Hurricane Andrew. I saw as all of our belongings got wrecked -- and getting a check from the insurance company made me much happier than looking at the various tchtockes on shelves and walls.

I do love our house, and never want to move. But I recognize the responsibility of maintaining it/ But to add to that burden? Not for me.

So I'm thrilled for my friends and their various additional properties. May they be venues for precious memories with loved family and friends. I totally get that -- but after the vacation is over, I prefer to simply sign the AMEX statement and leave the cleanup to others.

Speaking of which, the new kitchen appliances we bought in September are STILL in our garage -- except for the new oven. Supposably, as we say in the 305, the new fridge is due in early March. Que annoying. One set of that is more than enough for me.

No comments: