Monday, November 9, 2020

Well They Call it Stormy Monday

 So our babysitting job Saturday was canceled, on account of our grandson's first cold, and its spread to his parents. Typically by his age of 10 months, babies have several colds, but being away from other kids because of the plague, he hadn't had any. Well, D1 is finally having him see other kids, and his growing immune system sure enough got its first challenge.

After his parents got sick, soo, they went to get COVID tested, because these days...thankfully tests came back negative, but by then we had all decided to stay home. I watched college football, and got in some of my walk despite the rainy weather. Also, a new threat, Tropical Storm ETA, loomed to our Southwest, and the local media, tired of only ginning up anxiety with the election and the plague, jumped on it like flies on dog shit.

But speaking of the election, on Saturday it was finally called. Our man Joe passed the 270 mark. The cartoon guy isn't conceding, and promises court fights. But even Fox News and the NY Post have fled him, and the writing is on the wall. The only thing left to see is whether he kills himself in a WH bunker, Hitler- like. I bet if he does Melania does NOT go along like Eva Braun did...she'll end up with a different old rich guy. Times have changed, after all.

Wifey was absolutely ebullient at the news. I was happy but guarded. Until I actually see Joe in the WH and hear "Hail to the Chief," I'll retain some doubts...

Yesterday I woke Dr. Barry with a 9 am call. He called back. We laughed -- it recalled a funny tale from years ago. He and Donna came away with us, and my sister and brother in law, and Paul and a lady friend. The firm hosted us all at Chalet Suzanne, a romantic inn up in Lake Wales, known for their quirky rooms and gourmet food. We all feasted, and went to our rooms. It was Barry and Donna's first night away from their sons.

My brother in law Dennis knew the restaurant had famous pancakes for breakfast. At 7 am, he knocked loudly on Barry's door -- let's go eat! Barry was either sleeping in, or enjoying some kid-free marital relations. He came to the door and asked Dennis if he was crazy -- who leaves a romantic inn room at 7 am? Dennis walked away to have a solo breakfast, or, I guess, meet my sister who was already there. It's a tale we tell over and over.

So yesterday I asked -- had I become Dennis? Or was Barry a new teenager -- sleeping in at 9 am???? Turns out he was up -- just reading in bed.

Anyway, he assuaged my fears of a coming Civil War. I think he's correct. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

The weather indeed deteriorated, and I watched the Fins play. Man, what a nice surprise -- they're the best since the Dan Marino days. The beat a very good Arizona team. It was fun to watch, and text along with my friends as we did.

Our friend Darriel is a secret Democrat. She mistakenly sent a very anti-Trump picture by mistake. Jeannine, who avoids politics, but is a Republican, made fun of her. I allowed as to how Darriel had come out of the closet, finally -- she was truly a Black woman. Darriel said that explains her unusual name. We all laughed on text...

After a FaceTime (tm) where we watched our beloved grandson show he's near walking, Wifey made dinner -- meatballs and spaghetti and a salad. It was fine. I started hearing about power outages, and got out some flashlights, just in case. Thankfully we never lost the power, and it appears the storm is mostly passed --though it will still rain all day today, as it is right now.

But then there was good news -- finally. Pfizer announced it's COVID vaccine seems to work far better than it had even dared to hope -- 90% effective. The stock market futures are SOARING on that news, as well as the impending Trump removal tempered by a GOP Senate.

We might just make it, all of us, after all. I guess sometimes stormy Mondays truly do lead to much sunnier days...

No comments: