Friday, November 27, 2020

A Banner Thanksbirthday

 So today is D1's 32nd birthday, and since we were all together yesterday, we celebrated T Day and birthday. It was a top 10 all time great day.

I've learned that often great days have triggers -- something happens early that sets a tone, either negative of positive. Yesterday it was the lack of a carving knife.

We brought in food from Sage, a local restaurant known for their catering. I went to fetch the food, and when I got home, we realized it had a full, cooked turkey. Typically the turkey comes pre-sliced, or we have in caterers with their own utensils. No problem, I told Wifey, we have that old butcher block with the carving knives, an engagement gift to us from 1986. Umm, no we don't answered Wifey. She gave it away to our housekeeper, since we never cook, and any food we bring in never requires carving. All we have are small, not very sharp steak knives, and D1 and Joey had already left, so I couldn't have them bring a carving knife. I guessed D2 and Jonathan didn't have one either.

But then I remembered -- I had a barbecue set, top of the line and never used, from over 20 years ago. Sure enough, it had a large, sharp carving knife. And then I recalled the story behind the cutlery.

D1 was friends with a girl in Middle School named Michelle. She was diagnosed with leukemia, and was inpatient at UM/JMH. She never made it, fortunately, to the PICU, but was very sick. I asked Barry if maybe he would drop by and say hello. He said he would.

A few days later, I got one of the most memorable emails I ever received. It was from Tracy,  Michelle's mother, telling me she never believed in angels until a large man from Queens came into their life. He comforted them, spent hours with them, and was literally the light in their darkness. And, thankfully, Michelle was cured, and is now a nurse in NYC. Michelle and her family came to visit, with Barry and his family, and brought a gift for Barry and that top of the line barbecue set for me. And 20 years later, it came to our turkey carving rescue.

As I told the tale of the knife to Joey, we both teared up, thinking about this man we have in our lives, who comforts us still, thankfully about less dramatic pediatric issues. And that set the tone for the rest of the day.

We ate. We drank. The grandson sat next to me cooing, as if he wanted to talk with the adults. Wifey had us each take a turn saying what we were thankful for. It was so heartfelt. Even in the time of the plague, we appreciated so what we had.

Did I mention we drank? Somehow a large Ketel One bottle got half used up, as did a tequila bottle. We sang happy birthday to D1, and shared her requested hazel nut, butter cream frosting cake.

At one point, the badass street dog got on the table and devoured a cookie cake Wifey had bought. Later, the Ds friend Alyssa FaceTimed, and asked if Vienna was ok after her stunt. D1 reminded Alyssa that dog survived rat poison -- a little cookie cake was a snack for her.

D1 and Joey took the spoiled Spaniel and the baby and left. I told Joey how I loved him -- as amazing the Big Man's blessings to me have been -- did I really also deserve sons in law like Joey and Jonathan? I'm thankful the answer seems to be yes.

Later, D2 and Jonathan took the enormous puppy and left. I found my way upstairs and slept the sleep of a very happy man.

This am, as I walked the 'hood, D1 and I re-lived the night. She too is humbled with gratitude. Today some friends, her sister, and sister in law are going over for a socially distanced cake and champagne gathering in their back yard.

I finished my clean up, and dish washing, and think I have a nap with my name on it before I see some of my boys on Zoom later tonight. I'll be drinking less -- as the lightweight I am, I can't drink heavily two days in a row, much as that remains a lesser life goal I have.

D1 bought me a t shirt which I wore yesterday, and continue to wear today, even though the sleeve has remnants of the grandson's lunch on it: I'm a cool rockin' Daddy in the USA. Amazingly fortunate and blessed, too.


No comments: