Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Her Favorite Week

 So I was chatting with D1 the other day as I did one of my constitutionals, and she reminded me this is her favorite week. She's always loved Thanksgiving, which is a holiday of great food and family togetherness, and her birthday always falls within a day or so of the holiday. In fact, the Hebrew name we chose for her is Hagit, which means Holiday, since her birth was so close to T Day.

Also, the weather is almost always beautiful in Miami in late November. Finally, in college T Day week was a time all of her dear friends would return home from far flung colleges, and they'd have a lovely reunion. It was always hosted by Missy -- D1's friend Nicole's Mom. D2 is close friends with Scott, Nicole's brother, and so that younger group of kids would always be included, too. 

Wifey and I would also be invited, and the reunion was lovely -- our newly adult kids sharing their tales of life with us middle agers... I guess this year there'll be no post T Day brunch, which is really sad, as now many of the former undergrads have beautiful babies of their own.

But I agree with D1 -- this is a wonderful week. As if on cue, the incessant rain we've had too long into dry season seems to have stopped. As I let out the pups this am, I felt that delightful breeze of cool air. I've also had the bedroom windows open the last 3 nights -- sleeping to the sound of night birds and other critters.

We've typically been hosting our sons in laws' families for T Day. A few years back, Joey's brother and sister in law hosted at their new house in Morningside. They nervously asked me if it was authentic -- since the Ds and I are the only native born Americans in the group. Indeed it was -- I assured our hosts we might as well have been in Oklahoma as Latin Miami for all the familiar trappings.

Still -- we had taken over in past years. Last year we had close to 20 -- the Ds' in laws all came. 

Alas -- this year it'll be just the 7 of us, plus an increase in the household dog infestation. It should be lovely.

We have an immense amount to be thankful for, even in this time of global pandemic and political unrest in our country. It appears a vaccine will be readily available by April or so, so there is optimism for a return to sort of normal by the Summer.

Finally yesterday, the absurd Trump Administration allowed the GSA to start the transition to Biden. The pathetic creep still won't concede, but it appears, like Hitler in his bunker before the suicide, that he's accepted his loser fate.

Biden's been picking his Cabinet, and my friends and I have been getting a kick out of it. His Chief of Staff, Secretary of State, Homeland Security Chief, and Secretary of the Treasury are all Jews. Is it the Cabinet or Knesset? I'm sure the anti-semites will have a field day, but that's ok. The picks are all well seasoned and qualified.

Janet Yellen, the Treasury pick, is one of my favorites. She may have one of the most brilliant minds in Economics. Her husband is a Nobel Laureate -- also in Eco. And yet when she speaks, she still has a lot of Brooklyn in her. She talks about the social dimension of the economy, and I expect to hear "Ok, hon -- you want the corned beef or pastrami? I ain't got all day, you know."

So fun times ahead. Big Man willing, healthy ones, too.

All I know is, I join in my first born's assessment. This can indeed be a favorite week.

No comments: