Sunday, November 1, 2020

Halloween in the Time of Covid

 So the Ds finally got me to agree to a family gathering outside of the house. It was delightful.

D1 booked a cabana for the day at the Bal Harbor Ritz Carlton. As Wifey and I drove across the Julia Tuttle, the skies opened up. Uh oh. So much for our plans. But, me of little faith was wrong -- we arrived at the valet and the skies were clear.

I had never been to that Ritz before, and like everyone I've ever visited, it was gorgeous. The site is right on the inlet, and when we walked there later, I saw 4 professional photographers set up. I asked one what they were looking to shoot -- and he replied, simply, "yachts." There were indeed several.

The cabana was isolated, with a covered big bed and a jacuzzi tub and a hammock. The food and service were delicious -- I actually went for some craft cocktails for a change -- a "Greyhound" that had vodka and some other tasty stuff. Lunch was delicious, and the ocean breeze was delicious, too. The baby cooed and laughed, as D2 and Wifey fought over who got to hold him.

Joey's 33rd birthday was the week before, and Wifey got a dessert with a candle, and we sang -- in English. That's a family running joke. The classic Colombian birthday song is as long as ours. The Venezuelan one goes on and on.

Around 5, we were ready to head out. D1 and Joey had an outdoor dinner up in Emerald Hills -- my consuegros would be watching the baby while he slept. Just as we left -- the skies opened up. Our timing was terrific.

Wifey and I headed home, and to show the contrast of my tastes, I popped in a Publix meatloaf for dinner. D2 and Jonathan came by -- they had a Halloween, housewarming party in our 'hood, and left the dog, and would spend the night.

Their costumes were a 2020 meme -- "This is Fine" which it turns out is an ironic view of the disaster that 2020 has been. They asked if I could drop them at the party, just several blocks away.

I did, and was seized with nostalgia. Didn't  I used to drop off a teen D2 at parties, just recently? Shouldn't I go in to meet the parents who would be hosting? Ha. The hosts were Brett and Elise -- friends of D2's since Middle School who just bought their first house here in Pinecrest. I suddenly felt very, very old.

We put some candy in front of the gate, in case there were trick or treaters. Wifey heard one group come by, and pick up the bags of Sweet Tarts. One boy said "Man -- I was hoping they were M and Ms!" Wifey wouldn't allow any candy she would eat -- so no chocolate.

I went to bed, and around midnight, D2 and Jonathan called Wifey for a ride home. Her phone was off, so they UBered what must have been about a $2 ride.

This am I made everyone Daddy eggs, and then D2 and Jonathan took the pony sized dog home. Wifey is napping on the couch. Joey has been sending precious photos of our banner day yesterday.

So here's to hoping next year is more of a normal one -- we can actually take our grandson trick or treating, and teach him the fun of the holiday.

This year's wasn't, as Adam Sandler says, too shabby.

No comments: