Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Nancy the Vampiress

 So of all the nurses my family knows, the best phlebotomist, by far, is Nurse Nancy. We've known her for years -- she worked for our doctor friend Dave G, and always enjoyed our visits with her. She's smart, and warm hearted -- our kids are close in age, too.

She's been married to a long time Miami cop, who retired and was then re-hired by Coral Gables. Her son and daughter, to Nancy's chagrin, both followed their father's career path, and now work for Miami and Coral Gables, too. During the unrest in Miami last Summer, her daughter was caught in a dicey moment, when the visigoths were trying to gain access to Miami Police Headquarters. Thankfully, backups from Miami Beach kept the pillagers at bay.

When Dr. David retired, and sold his practice to Dr. Mary, Nancy stayed on. I'm the only remaining patient -- the Ds and Wifey switched to our friend Ruby's husband Harris. Harris runs a concierge practice without the hefty annual fee. As typical, I have the most inertia, and still see Dr. Cross. It may be this is my final year of paying the $1800 annual fee for services I rarely use.

Still, my "executive physical exam" is set for late November, and today I saw Nancy for the blood draw. She took 7 vials for the MDVIP patented assay. They measure all kinds of things -- not just cholesterol, but how "clumpy" it is. Eric, who I trust above any other Internal Medicine/Cardiologist, says much of it it total bullshit. But nonetheless, I offered my arm, and Nancy drained away. Hopefully the Big Man will decide I have no latent, dread disease going on.

Nancy cooed over photos of the grandson. She's known D1 since she was a girl. Nancy BADLY wants to join the abuela club. Hopefully it happens for her soon. I know she will be an awesome one.

Other than that, it's been a pretty quiet week at Villa Wifey. I got in close to 11 miles of walks yesterday, the last 1.5 mile with Wifey and our neighbor Gloria, who we both really like. Gloria's husband Ben, a health nut, literally dropped dead a year and a half ago, while jogging in the 'hood. I make sure NOT to jog since then -- not that I have since forced to by the coach in high school baseball.

Gloria is staying in the house, which gladdens me. Her sons live in NYC and New Jersey, and both are single. One helps run the family bicycle business, and comes to Miami a lot. Gloria loves it here, like I do. 

I also met my man from Total Wine, with 2 large bottles of Ketel One, for the duration. I really like Tito's, but my Zoom Happy Hours have given me the opportunity to taste compare. For now, Ketel is my choice -- maybe it has to do with the first time I tried it. It was at Chalet Suzanne, in the "Wine closet" they had there, during a visit with Mike and Loni. It was a lovely stay, and my first Ketel One -- wow -- now decades in the past.

Today I await InstaCart's arrival. Wifey went back for a late morning nap.

We had a nice Zoom yesterday. It appeared no one was attending, so I texted my nephew of another mister Josh, who had the day off on account of the passing storm, and told him I was alone on Zoom. He joined, we toasted, and sure enough, Cara, Darriel, and Mike joined in. It was nice -- sharing a Monday cocktail amid nice banter.

Mike had returned from Disney, and Josh asked if they replaced Trump in the Hall of Presidents yet. Sure enough, they mentioned they had.

So I await the results from my favorite Vampire. Hopefully all well.

No comments: