Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Best Quarantine Weekend So Far

Friday night I caught up with Josh, my nephew of another mister, and then it was time for Dr. Eric's video shabbat, which I have the privilege of being invited to weekly. I drank my martini while the family said the blessing over wine, and sat outside watching the participants from Palm Beach County, New Jersey, old friend Robin and her husband, from Connecticut.

I then had a lovely, long Facetime with D2 and Jonathan and Betsy, and saw the new pup pictured next to D2. She's yuuuuge, as POTUS says. She's 60 lbs, and very tall, and with a coat that looks like she got highlights from a salon.  I went to bed very happy.

Saturday I took a long early walk with Jeff -- he turned 59 the day before. We looked back over the decades -- we met when we were 22 and starting law school. That was 2 wives and 5 daughters, 3 sons in law, and one grandchild between the two of us. Wow, we just kept thinking...wow.

I then drove up to D1's, where I was told before I was NOT to get a haircut at my salon unless I wished to lose my status as an in person visitor. I agreed with D1, but WAS looking more and more like mid 60s Dylan, with my abundant, though grey, Jewfro.

Joey offered to cut my hair. He had never cut anyone else's, but Joey is the guy who, when he undertakes a task, does it carefully and well. So he poured us a couple of tall drinks, and set to work. And it was terrific! In fact -- probably more stylish (more hair left on top) than my usual job from Dania, who I have been using for the last 23 years.

We celebrated with a walk with the baby and D1 through their very cool 'hood -- houses from the 30s and even older next to Miami Vice inspired 80s jobs, and access, at streets' end, to Biscayne Bay. We walked up to Miami Shores, and a street I HAD been on -- North Bayshore Drive, where my friend Allison grew up. I texted her a photo of the 'hood, to hopefully bring her back to happier times...

Our dinner was Bagel Emporium salads I had brought, and I left in just a wonderful mood.

The strange rescue and special needs Spaniel seemed to say -- well -- that's nice, but what about us?  When Wifey is able to walk, we take them both on a long course, with a dog stroller for the gimpy Bo, but without Wifey, I feel badly about taking the stronger dog while leaving Bo to whine pathetically. As I keep saying, I am no doggist...which is racist about certain dogs.

But last night I saddled both of them up, and took them on a short trip around the block. They really seemed to enjoy all the smells of the street they had been missing.

Today I did 5 miles before it got too hot, and then tossed the dogs into the pool for a bit of a chlorine bath and a little exercise. They dried, happily, in the sun.

Later, there was a very nice nap, to the Smithsonian Channel, which has a series called "Aerial " an extremely relaxing documentary of sites all over the world, with beautiful vistas and a very calming narration. I fell asleep high over Ireland -- last thing I heard was something about Oscar Wilde...

I caught up with both D families -- and hope for an afternoon walk. But, alas, quite a strong T storm is passing -- hopefully it will clear out and let me do another 5 miles before I sleep. I do have miles to go before I sleep...

So the plague continues to be awful, but as for my family and me -- we're making the best of it. There might be another virtual happy hour or two this week -- and hopefully Friday the Dr. Eric shabbos followed by the toast hosted by Joey. Eric calls it double dipping, and it's a highlight for these times.

And, it was adios Bob Dylan/Jerry Garcia/Albert Einstein/Doc Brown. Hello to a better groomed, quarantining Daddy in the USA...

No comments: