Monday, May 25, 2020

Everything's Quiet on Memorial Day

And so it's Memorial Day, and it's been raining for three day's straight. So few Americans even realize the purpose of the holiday -- confusing it with Veteran's Day. Of course , so few of us in these modern times have relatives who actually died serving, and so for most, MD is the time of sales, barbecues, and the unofficial beginning of summer.  I still recall my parents calling it "Decoration Day," which was the name before WW II.

But I always recall the true meaning. We're living in such stressful times, and want only to get back to our normal lives. That normal only exists because of the ultimate sacrifice of the military heroes. And true heroes they are.

D2 and Jonathan remain wonderful house guests. They went back to their condo Saturday to meet the repair guy, and, as feared, no part was found for the 70s era air handler. The repairman said it would be Tuesday, so they returned here. It's been wonderful having them -- even at the distance.

Wifey drove up to D1 and Joey's, to spend the night, so Wifey could perform her weekend nanny chores. D2 and Jonathan brought in dinner, and I had an adult beverage across the front porch. Their friends Ali and Blake Facetimed, in, and it was nice to hear from them, doing well from the original Upper East Side, in NYC.

Yesterday I drove up to see D1 and Joey and the gorgeous baby, and Wifey. I brought Bagel Emporium, and Joey and I watched some of the celebrity golf game. When everyone napped, I snuck out to the outdoor sofa, sprayed on some Cutter, and watched a few mosquitoes fly near, and make a u turn. I took a wonderful 40 minute nap, and the rain gently fell from the ancient live oaks. It was heavenly.

Last night, the rain seemed to lift a bit, and D2 and Jonathan really needed to give their enormous puppy some exercise. I joined them in a 4 mile walk -- the rain stayed at bay. Betsy is so well trained -- no leash needed on quiet streets. She did run to a local puggle, Zeus, but Zeus and his owner were fine with the greet up.

Wifey came home, and the younguns had ordered in some Anthony's Coal fired salads, pizza, and wings, and we sat apart and enjoyed the evening. D2 and Jonathan are house hunting, and we talked about all the moving parts that go into that big decision.

I think they're leaning towards a new townhouse, nearly complete, in a gentrifying part of the Grove. Jonathan has researched it well. It's near a park that, in the 80s and 90s, was nowhere to visit unless you wanted to buy crack cocaine, or get robbed trying to do so. But now that park is a happy, bustling place, with folks of all races enjoying its amenities.

Of course, we older, more protective parents would prefer they chose an already gentrified part of town, like Coral Gables, but the prices there are out of sight. We looked at a place for sale -- near Gables High -- not even a fine location. It was 1400 square feet -- asking price over $1M.

So they'll see...

Meanwhile, the rain still falls. It's stymied my long walks -- though I still sneaked in 5 miles yesterday. Maybe I'll get in a few miles today --I need it for my mental health, and the large visiting puppy needs to burn off some of that puppy energy.

But I know it's possible, all of this life, because of those who died fighting for our way of life. And I remember and honor them, on Memorial Day.

No comments: