Thursday, May 21, 2020

Silver Ferraris and Peahens With Chicks

So it was a pretty slow week here in my tropical version of Lake Woebegone.  Wifey returned home Tuesday afternoon after her stint as a full time helper to D1 and the baby. We had a lovely homecoming -- she stopped for Shula's on the way home, and we ate and caught up.

I have officially become a full time walker. Each day this week, I got in at least 10 miles. Typically in the am I either walk with Jeff, or Josh, my nephew of another mister, texts that he's awake, and we chat while I walk the streets. I try to get in about 6 miles during the early session.

In the afternoon, about once per week Kenny drops by on his way home from work at Baptist, and we get in another 4 or 5.  Yesterday, we had plans to meet, but the rain was threatening, so I sneaked out at 3 and got in my afternoon constitutional, before the rains came.

This am I got a vision that always brings me a smile: a peahen with her chicks walking around. The peafowl are controversial -- many neighbors hate them -- but it's tough not to appreciate a female with her blue or green head with her little gray chicks in a row behind her.

Also, today, Kenny came by for his replacement walk, and was treated to a peacock in full feather extension, trying to impress another hen. He took some photos -- he'll be headed to Maine next month, and can show the Mainers the exotic bird that's made Miami home.

We had a fine Zoom happy hour last night -- organized by Josh, at the suggestion of older brother Scott. Dr. Barry made it home early, and he and Josh appeared. Dr. Eric and HIS Josh were on as well, and then a special appearance: Norman and his youngest, Benjamin.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the company and laughter. Tomorrow night we have another -- the shabbos Zoom toast led by D1 and Joey, which last week extended for several more hours, with D2 and Jonathan. I hope that happens again.

The CDC came out with new guidelines, basically reversing older ones -- saying there's only a tiny chance of getting the virus by touching surfaces. The main route is droplets, which makes wearing a mask so important. I wore one earlier today for a silly errand.

Wifey and I were fast asleep at 4 am, when a piercing alarm sounded. Our central system's battery was low. I immediately wished they programmed it to tell you stuff like that during waking hours, but no...

I called the company, and they said, sure enough, I needed a new battery. No rush, but if I didn't replace it, the alarm would do the same tomorrow at 4 am, too. So I drove over to Arresco's office, near Miami Metro Zoo, and went inside -- just me and a very nice lady, wearing masks. I gave her the old battery for recycling, and took the new one. I've been their customer for 20 years -- the clerk knew our name, and said it was nice to finally meet. I told her I'm prettier without the mask.

I popped in the new battery, and hopefully no alarm at 4 am. It's tough enough to get enough sleep these days...

No comments: