Sunday, March 1, 2020

The Final Cold Front

My favorite weather is a Miami cold front -- the kind of temps we get in December through March, maybe. When it dips to the 50s at night, I can use my favorite possession -- the cheap fire pit. And -- to me, it's the best sleeping weather. Days without sweating while fetching the morning paper are nice, too.

Well -- my family has zero complaints about the 2020 weather, so far. The night of D2 and Jonathan's wedding -- now one month past -- was, as my friend Norman noted, maybe the nicest evening in 5 years. The light of the sunset, as the ceremony was led by Rabbi Yossi, cast us all in a warm light that was surreal.

A cold front came in a few days ago, and I', savoring it. I think it may be the last one of the season. As I type today, it's 50 with brilliant sunshine. WDNA jazz is playing, thanks to my new second favorite possession -- a Sonos play bar. I am awaiting a critical text -- from Dr. Barry or his boy Josh.

Josh turns 22 tomorrow, and we are going to LOL for a birthday breakfast. We were supposed to have a dinner last Friday, but things got complicated, and so it is breakfast at our favorite place. As Barry points out, 22 is still late adolescence, and adolescents sleep late, so breakfast will turn into brunch, and that is fine, too.

22. I was that age when I met a girl with beautiful blue eyes, struggling to open her mailbox at our Kendall garden apartment. Now I'm a few months from 59, and the girl and I have built an amazing life together.

I had lost my Dad a bit over a year before. Josh is fortunate to have his rock -- his Dad -- and may he for many, many years. Few of my friends have both of their parents still alive. They are an especially lucky number.

Last night, Dr. Kenny had texted -- he was a weekend bachelor, and had to cover the machines at Baptist Hospital all day. Would Wifey and I care to meet at Shula's, after 8? Wifey said she would see, but I knew eating that late would keep her out of that game. I checked Uber as the time grew near -- it cost $7 to get there. Parking at valet costs $9, with tip, so I summoned the driver.

I watched his little icon as he missed the turn to Ludlam, to access my 'hood. It's a common error. I called him.

Years ago, when Uber sought permission to operate in Miami Dade, they promised the Commission that all drivers would speak English -- to allay an annoyance to we gringos who encountered taxi drivers who did not speak the language. Ha. As if!

My driver spoke ZERO English,and I had to use my rudimentary Spanish to guide him to me. He was a very nice guy, and I guess it's a particular charm of Miami. Kenny and I spoke about it -- every UBer driver he's had all over Europe speaks English -- but not here. Oh well -- dude got me there...

Kenny and I caught up. I told him about the South Beach Wine and Food event he missed -- where I was grilled like a fish by angry women at our table for bringing up and liking Shakira and JLo at the Super Bowl. Women can get So angry...

The Uber driver home spoke English, and knew a few lawyers in Pinecrest I also knew -- one a guy who used to represent Noriega after we kidnapped him from Panama...We passed the lawyer's house, where he has an impressive collection of antique cars. The garage was all shut up for the night...

I love lazy Sundays. After brunch, we'll have Barry and Josh and maybe Donna back over, and enjoy the weather some more. They're headed out to Runway 84 for dinner with Josh's aunt, uncle, and grandmother. Wifey and I will probably make a trip to the Palace, and see my ancient suegra -- but will NOT be able to get her outside in the chill weather.

So -- another cup of coffee calls to me. I think I'll drink it outside as the cool breeze blows. Ah -- my favorite time of the year, weather wise...

No comments: