Saturday, March 14, 2020

Social Distancing

So the CEO of the Arsht Center came around, and yesterday joined the non -party and canceled Hamilton performances. I got an email -- did I want a refund, a credit, or to "donate my tickets" for charity. Right. As if I would trust that stupid and stubborn bastard to decide my tzedekah...

We thought we'd get the full squad together on Sunday, but D1 read a very informative blog post -- from an expert Harvard Public Health professor. The fellow said, essentially -- hold off the family gatherings for awhile -- play dates, too. Social distancing needs to extend to everyone we don't live with -- whenever possible. We talked about it and agreed. Big Man willing -- there will be plenty of time for us to get together, with grandkid and dogs in tow. Why not, as D1 said, just hole up in our own places for the next few weeks...

Fortunately -- my whole family loves their homes. D1 and Joey are a short walk, baby and spoiled Spaniel in tow, to beautiful Biscayne Bay. D2 and Jonathan are on the 10th floor overlooking Sailboat Bay in the Grove, and a short walk to coffee shops and restaurants. For me -- it's rare I want to be anywhere other than Villa Wifey, or walking the 1.1 mile route in my 'hood.

On the other hand, I feel for those stuck in less happy places -- this self quarantining must be rather prison-like.

And -- there is the comical shortage of toilet paper. Wifey always over bought --but recently the Ds "go shopping in our garage" and have taken plenty of it. Thanks bidets...

As I type, Wifey has on the news -- showing scenes of Costco in NYC. It's pretty bad. We're used to the tensosity of this kind of thing -- we get it when a hurricane approaches. But there are plenty of batteries and flashlights available.

My suegra's ALF is on complete lockdown. The staff has started FaceTiming (tm) with family. Yesterday we got to see the 95 year old -- looking pretty strong and covid-19 -free. She kept telling the staff member that her daughter and son in law were somehow on his TV...It was pretty funny. I have little doubt the virus will take my suegra -- I thing much younger folks will go first...

So today I took a 2.2 mile walk. I plan another one. I ran into a few neighbors, and we kept the recommended 6 foot distance, though Dr. Barry says airborne contagion outdoors in nearly a nullity.

I'm waiting to hear confirmation of the postponement of a big wedding last weekend in March -- I spoke to the father of the groom this am, and they are working out the details. Had it gone on, it had the potential to be a pretty grim affair -- people afraid to get near each other, and most, if not all, of the out of town guests staying away.

Wifey and I were to go to Key West the first April weekend with Ken and Joelle. Ken canceled the rooms today -- the cutoff for doing so without penalty. I told Bagatelle and 7 Fish, via Open Table (tm) we would not be having meals that weekend. Hopefully we can reschedule the trip -- I so love Key West.

And tonight? Even though I rarely drink alone, I may make an exception, and make myself a quarantini -- a martini you drink alone. I'll lift the glass to the Big Man, and ask for a prompt end to all this craziness.

China and South Korea seem to be coming out of the dark, as Gloria Estefan sings. Let us, soon, too...

No comments: