Tuesday, February 25, 2020

No Soul Man

So Wifey and I drove to the Grove and met D2 and Jonathan, and then Lyffted to South Beach and the Loewe's Hotel for the South Beach Wine and Food Barbecue Event. We met my FIU handler, Joe, and were led to a great table right near the stage, where Trisha Yearwood would be singing.


Alas, the great Sam Moore, who was supposed to sit with us, had hurt his 86 year old hip, and stayed home, but his wife Joyce and daughter Joanne attended. Joanne's date was a guy named Corey, who was the lead singer of an 80s group called "Living Colour."I had Googled them, and learned they had one hit, "Cult of Personality."When I met Corey, I said I was privileged to meet him. He responded Ï don't even know what that means,"and scoffed. I wanted to say "Well, has been, I figure I would make you feel important, but since you're a jerk, it means nothing."Instead, I just said I was being nice. Whatever.


We feasted. Jonathan, D2 and I acquitted ourselves nicely at the Tito's station -- bloody Mary's for them, Tito's on ice for me. We ate the gourmet barbecue offerings -- a Cajun shrimp was awesome.


Back at the table, Joyce, no shrinking violet, opined to the Dean that FIU needed to market much better -- since no one outside of Miami really knows about them. He agreed, but said he got a lot of press as the "Dancing Dean." Turns out, he was profiled as a national Hispanic leader for his return to his hometown from Hopkins, and the fact that he loves to salsa dance. I said "Wow -- do you dance as well as Shakira did at the Super Bowl?"

Well -- a chill fell upon the table. Joyce made a face, and said that Shakira and J Lo's act set back feminism 50 years. Another benefactor, from a leading realtor family, said she watched with her 5 year old daughter and was scandalized. I know her sister -- major Catholics in Miami -- I guess they were terribly offended by the nice tucheses...

I looked over at the Dean. He was pale -- this happy occasion for FIU supporters was headed towards an ugly clash between Shakira/J Lo supporters (me) and those who were terribly offended (Joyce and the Cervera woman). I let them continue to skew me for liking the show, and then said I must have known it was objectionable on some level, as I closed one eye when I watched. It lightened the mood.

Still, D2 and Jonathan noted how their Dad got skewered. I rather enjoyed it, I must say.

The rest of the day was fine -- more feasting and drinking. And -- FIU is terrific, and worthy of support.

Next year I won't mention any TV performances.

No comments: