Tuesday, December 31, 2019

So That's A Wrap on the First 2 Decades of the 21st Century

Wow -- THAT was fast. The first  2 decades of the 21st century just really flew by. Satchel Paige advised to never look back, since something might be gaining on you, but I can't help it. A lot has gone down. 

Ten years ago, D1 was a senior in college, and D2 a senior in high school, at the end of the 21st century's first decade.  We would get to attend graduations from Palmetto High and UF in Gainesville in May of '10. D1 would move home to Miami to start her grad studies at FIU, and D2 would follow her sister's path to UF.

Now, D1 and Joey have been married over 2 years, and D2 and Jonathan will stand under the chuppah later this month. My Ds have selected outstanding men. Wifey and I feel our cup hath runneth over...

I was still a full time lawyer back in '09, paying a staff and paying rent. Now, 10 years later, I still consult in the law business, but put on a suit and tie exactly twice during the last year. It's just the way I want it.

I still took on a great deal of tensosity, to use the neologism of my late friend Alan, of the law practice. I plan to shed a great deal of that in the coming year. Often I was the only schmuck in the office -- and my Daddy didn't raise a schmuck. So I will follow the advice of the movie "Frozen," which I never saw, but know has a song called "Let it Go."

And maybe a new opportunity will pop up. I'm still waiting to be asked to be the host at an upscale restaurant. Or maybe fill in as a local tour guide.

Just this past Sunday, Mirta and I were attending the King Mango Strut in the Grove, and having lunch at a nice cafe. At the next table there was a stunningly attractive Dutch couple. The young woman asked what was happening in the street. Mirta told her "You asked the right guy," and I proceeded to share the history of the parody parade, and the fact that the object of its parody, the stiff King Orange Parade, was long ago consigned to the dustbin of history...It occurred to me I really DO enjoy that stuff...

Wifey also needs some new focus. 10 years ago, her parents were still living independently, more or less, in Pembroke Pines. He father has since passed, and her mother just turned 95 -- now living in the Palace. Wifey was an awesome caregiver and case manager, but now has her mother well situated for the final years...

I have a feeling that this coming year, Wifey will have a new purpose, and she will soar in it...

10 years ago, my mother Sunny was alive and living in Kings Point, in Delray. She had stopped driving, at 89, and that coincided with a slow descent. In 2012, she had her final fall at home, and her doctor, who happens to be one of my closest friends, said her blood chemistry showed she was in near starvation mode. Despite her claims that she was fine -- she wasn't eating.

So -- it was no more monkeys jumping on the bed -- and I moved her to Miami Jewish home in May of '12. I had D2 with me -- returning home from UF, and I placed her Grandma into the front seat of her car (I had flown to GNV to drive home with her) while we drove from Delray Hospital to Miami Jewish. 

My Mom fell into a very deep sleep, as D2 napped in the back. I thought to myself that maybe Sunny had died -- and I had therefore visited upon my daughter the same awful thing I went through with my father. But, thankfully, Sunny was just sleeping, and we got her situated into her final home.

Sunny had a nice final 11 months. I would visit and take her to the gazebo under the ancient and huge oak trees, and buy her an ice cream chipwich, which she said was the most delicious ice cream she had ever eaten. We celebrated her 93rd birthday on April 13, 2013, with 2/3 of her children and 3/6 of her grandkids in attendance. She would die 2 weeks later, on April 27, 2013, peacefully, in her sleep.

I still clearly remember thinking the year 2000 was THE FUTURE. My Dad corrected me -- I would be younger than 40 when it came. And now -- 19 years of that new millennium have passed.

So here's to a great 2020. 20/20 is, of course, perfect vision. I know we won't have that -- nationally we're more divided than ever. 

But I hope for those closest to me, there is only great health and laughter. And some more shekels would be nice, too.

I am certain there will be uncertainty.  Dr. Barry and I were just waxing philosophic on the phone last night -- about his wonderful son, Scott. Scott is a journalist in D.C. He would like to clearly plan out the coming decade of his life. Barry told him that simply doesn't work. We plan and the Big Man laughs.

A life can truly only be understood looking backwards. What if...I had moved to another city? Married someone else? Done better in Organic Chemistry and stayed on a different career path?

All I know is, I have savored each day, and plan to do so in 2020. Feliz ano nuevo. I wish I knew how to hit the enyay key -- I just wished a happy new anus.

So instead, I'll just type it regular style: happy new year!


No comments: