Thursday, December 26, 2019

Someone to Watch Over

So I really don't like stuff, but over the years get sucked into the idea that I SHOULD have some nice stuff. An exception, of course, is our big ass house. I REALLY like this place -- daily waking up to fetch the paper, under a tropical canopy, and thinking some older, richer neighbor is going to say "Hey kid -- what do you think you're doing here? Get out!"

I've always sort of liked watches, since they have a function, and look really cool. For years, I wore the Seiko my father's company gave him when he retired. It was nothing much -- not gold or anything, but it was his, and when he died it let me think of him each time I checked the time. But in the early aughts, it started to get some green corrosion spots on its side, and really wasn't appropriate to wear in Court, or with clients.

Around that time, my partner's friend, now passed on, needed an emergency loan from us, to get sprung from jail because of a Vegas gambling debt. Really. We loaned him the money, and Tony Soprano-like, Paul ordered him to take off his gold Omega, and hand it to me, as collateral. He did, and I wore the thing for the several months it took Alan to pay us back. When the debt was satisfied, I went to a local jeweler and bought myself a thin, gold Omega for about $3K, and wore it.

After she finished grad school, D1 mentioned that she always liked the watch, and the style was for women now to wear men's watches. That's all it took -- the Omega became D1's -- and I bought myself a used Tag stainless steel job for about $400. It became my every day watch...

Then, about 10 years ago, another watch came into my life. My friend Joel was sitting at his desk one day with a big, clunky Breitling. Turns out he had found it at the lawyers' locker at the Criminal Court -- probably left there by an out of town lawyer visiting a client, who forgot to retrieve it before leaving the building. Joel told the CO he would hold it, and to report if anyone claimed it. No one did, and it became Joel's.  I mentioned I liked it -- Joel handed it to me and said it was mine -- he already had truly exquisite watches from Colombian drug dealer clients. I thanked Joel, and bought him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue to say thanks. I wore the big, clunky Breitling, and even researched it -- it was made between '95-'97 and was a Navitimer. It sold online for about $3K.

About 5 years ago, the firm made a nice hit or two, and I noticed another lawyer wearing a watch that got my attention -- a blue faced Rolex, that was half gold and half steel. Wifey and the Ds hit me with "You never buy anything for yourself," and so Andy, a realtor and part time watch dealer I know, came over. He had the model I liked -- used, of course. I paid about $4K for it, and I wore it sometimes, but it usually slept, along with the Breitling, in an electric watch winder I was told to buy. You need to keep self winding watches active, it turns out...

Well, this year I got a Chanukah inspiration. I decided to give away my good watches to my sons in law, Joey and Jonathan. The problem was -- the Rolex is worth at least 5 times what the Breitling is. But D1 solved it -- Joey cares far less about watches than Jonathan. Jonathan ought to get the Rolex. And last night he did.

We met at D2 and Jonathan's place, and lit the menorah, and had some cocktails. I gave Jonathan the Rolex. Well -- he really was taken aback -- it was the nicest gift anyone ever gave him -- except for D2, he quickly corrected. I was so happy. He really appreciates it. I appreciate how he cares for my precious D2.

I FaceTimed with Joey, and showed him the Breitling. He'll get it later this Chanukah.

The watch winder can have Wifey's Cartier. She wanted the exact same watch as her BFF Edna, and I bought it for her online. She rarely wears it, and I told her it needs to be kept active, too - and so into the winder. Wifey likes having a nice watch, which is fine. Someday it'll go to the Ds, anyway.

It's a cliche, of course, but definitely applies to me: giving is far superior to receiving. I want to experiences. The stuff -- well, not for me.

And now I gave some nice watches to the men who watch over my Ds. What could be better than that?

No comments: