Thursday, December 19, 2019

Like A Sucker...

So Wifey's birthday is coming up 12/25, and a few months back I heard Madonna was doing a "residency" in Miami. Apparently, the superstar picked a few significant cities, and, rather than appearing in a stadium or arena, would play 7 or so nights at a more intimate theater. Wifey always liked Madonna, so I went online on Ticketmaster, and got into the electronic line.

It was a VERY hot ticket -- people coming from all over the world for these events. But I scored us some tickets, which, with Ticketmaster fees, neared $500 each.

My theory is I never buy stuff, so when I go for an experience, I happily pay top dollar. And so we were set for a show on a Wednesday night -- right in the middle of her "residency."

And then, the press started. First, she changed the start time from 8:30 until 10:30, since the 61 year old prefers to rehab her aging legs most of the day. And, reports came from LA that she really only started WELL after midnight. One guy even sued her and Ticketmaster in some class action -- claiming he bought a bunch of tickets, and now with the changed time, they were worth much less.

Also, reviews said her performance was an art piece -- she played one, or none, of her hits.

No problem -- I went back on the Ticketmaster site to sell the tickets -- listing them for what I paid. No takers. As the weeks came by, I reduced the price -- but the site never let me ask LESS than face value. So Wifey and I said -- let's just go.

So last night, we met a few other friends at D1 and Joey's place, and drove to the Beach. We got a good spot, and walked to Lincoln Road. The barkers for the restaurants were pretty aggressive, but we settled on one with a Mid Eastern flavor -- 7 Spices. It was pretty good, and they had burners on to fight the chill of the 65 degree evening. We drank. And ate. And laughed.

Then we walked across the New World Theater Sound Wall area -- we REALLY need to attend one of those -- the venue is splendid. And the Director, Michael Tilson Thomas, is now a Kennedy Center Honoree...

We got to the theater, and they took my cell phone. I actually like this new thing -- they put it in a soundproof canvas sack, and unlock it for you at the show's end. They did this on Broadway, too, when D2 and I recently saw a show. It forces you to be in the moment.

Our seats were, in fact, terrific. And the Diva came on at 11 pm -- not too bad.

It wasn't a pop concert. It was a true art performance -- James Baldwin's words flashed on a screen as a dancer played out getting shot -- like at a Parkland. Each song was amazingly choreagraphed.

She sang, and moved a bit, but never danced.

It reminded me of going to an Art Basel event -- I know it's deep and significant -- I just miss most of it.

There were a few songs I really liked -- like one she wrote with a Colombian guy about Medellin. But there was an extended vanity piece with her daughter dancing on a big screen. Yawn. Literally -- it was getting very late.

At one point, all 4 of us were asleep.

But not the rest of her true fans -- they were packed in, a very gay crowd, and stood most of the time, dancing and cheering.  Whatever.

We left around 1 -- even though there were some more songs coming. I did the old man thing and wanted to beat the traffic. I succeeded.

So --Wifey still enjoyed it. She slept the whole drive home. I wanted to. But I piloted the SUV back to quiet Pinecrest, and some dogs with surprised expressions -- we rarely come home after 2 am.

We're MOSTLY done with concerts for awhile. We saw Barbra, Paul McCartney, ELO, The Who, Hall and Oats, and the Stones. We also had a fun trip to Key West to see Hot Tuna.

I couldn't resist one final trip to see the classics before they, or we , die. And in February we're going up to Broward Arts to see Willie Nelson.

We actually opened that theater. I had clients who were friends with Bernadette Peters, the first performer there, and we got to go back stage and meet her and her friends Gloria and Emilio Estefan. It was a lovely night. We also saw John Fogarty there.

It's a nice venue -- less glitzy than the Miami theaters. So we'll make a night of it -- maybe dinner at Anthony's Runway first, and then to the show.

And that should be it for awhile...unless some Ticketmaster ad grabs me again. I've only seen Springsteen about 10 times...

No comments: