Saturday, December 28, 2019

Confederacy of Distinguished Gentlemen

So my nephew of another mister, Scott, is in town, and turned 23 the day post Xmas. He's headed back to D.C. tomorrow, and I wanted to celebrate his birthday. Fortunately, he and his Dad, Norman, and Kenny and his fine second son Nathan were all available. Scott's brother Josh, who badly wished to attend, had to work -- he's in retail part time, and this IS the season...

I suggested Kon Chau, and old school dim sum place in Westchester. Westchester is in West Miami, and the local Cubans pronounce it Weh Chest AAAA. For years, I thought they were referring to some Indian village out in the Glades...

But Kon Chau has been there a long time, and still has the same formica tables and old carpet. As a result, many of the lady folk prefer to avoid it. Norman's wife Deb was there once and said she'd never go again. But for aesthetically challenged guys who just want dim sum -- it's the place to be.

I've only been at dinner time, and while usually crowded, is never packed. Today, at noon, there were people waiting to get in -- many of them Chinese -- a great sign for a dim sum place. We waited about 10 minutes.

We feasted. It was terrific. Nathan is finishing his senior year at Swarthmore, and will have a pick of jobs waiting for him -- he's studying Engineering. Scott is living in D.C. and working in radio journalism -- with a lovely girlfriend, Samantha, in the same field.

Norman, Barry, and I are at the enviable stage of life where our kids are all grown. I'm the only one with married kids, or 1/2 of them for the time being, but I have a feeling Scott will join that club sooner than later...

After lunch, we drove a mile East, to a new craft brewery called Unseen Creatures. As Wynwood has gotten too expensive, the warehouse district off Bird Road, East of the Palmetto, has developed an arts district -- a few breweries , and some galleries.

We got a table, got some stouts and IPAs, and toasted again.  I didn't want to talk too long, but wanted Nathan and Scott to get a crucial message:  you really need to go through this journey called life with dear friends.

I met Kenny when we were 12, Barry when I was 19, and Norman when I was 22. We're all amazingly blessed -- and we love it when the other guy soars ever higher.

Years ago, my dear Rabbi friend Yossi taught that is the true measure of friendship. Most people say a good friend is one who is there for you when you're down. No -- that's a decent person. A real friend is truly happy when you soar -- the way you feel when your kids do better than you. And these guys all fit that bill.

We said our goodbyes. Norman's wife is out of the country, and Norman has been catching up with work and watching football. Tonight he's off with his youngest, Ben, to watch the Panthers. Kenny and Nathan were dining with their main woman -- Joelle -- and Barry and Scott were hosting Barry's mom, sister, and brother in law for a birthday/adios Scott dinner.

I'm home with a quiet night with Wifey and the dogs.  I'm trying to convince D2 and Jonathan to attend the King Mango Strut in the Grove -- and invite me along!  If not -- there's plenty of football to watch.

So I'm blessed to share time with this fine confederacy...not a dunce in the group.

No comments: