Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Well, It Finally Happened

Wifey and I long ago made a pledge, after watching a movie on aging couples. The first one who soils the bed -- the other spouse is allowed to sleep elsewhere. Years ago, as we were getting ready to fly to NYC for a long weekend, I said to her "Well, it finally happened." She was already up, and said "You soiled the bed?" No -- but I had read the Jet Blue ticket wrong, thinking the arrival was departure time, and we had missed our flight. We laughed -- happy the worse thing hadn't happened, but then "Well, it finally happened" became our speak for another sign of aging.

I'm happy to report the bed is still clean. But -- for the first time ever, last night, I was asleep when the New Year arrived.

We've always enjoyed celebrating NYE. Typically, we host parties -- from the huge ones we had in our first and second houses, to the smaller stone crab and champagne gatherings we've had the last 2 years. Other times, we've gone to dinner with friends, and then watched the year come in at after parties.

But yesterday, we spent a wonderful entire day with D1 and Joey, and their new puppy. They have an absolutely adorable newborn male -- by far the cutest one ever -- and we ate lunch and dinner, watching the new arrival sleep a lot, and then pee and poop. Puppies don't do too much more than that.

We brought in lunch from Joanna's, and I watched football on TV while Joey fussed about, lovingly. He is FAR more attentive to his new puppy than I ever was. I enjoy them more when they're old enough to go on long walks and play. But Joey is all in -- has been from the beginning.

D1 sent me on an errand -- to pick up a package that was in one of the two post offices. I went to the first, in Miami Shores, but learned they only had post boxes there. I then went to the other one in the same zip code -- in El Portal, which is Spanish for "The Portal."  It was a great sociological experience. The line had old, white, "Miamuh" types with younger people of color. Two middle aged Haitian ladies were complaining about the temperature in the place, and a younger African American man offered "Well damn! Someone dealing with hot flashes here." We all laughed, and I said to him "You are a far BRAVER man than I am!" One of the Haitian ladies said, laughing, "Braver, and dumber, too!" We all laughed, and wished each other happy new year. It was a really nice urban moment. Rodney King was right -- we all CAN get along...

Dr. Barry was finished early at the hospital, and we invited him over for a cocktail on his way home. He had later dinner plans with his lady and second son -- dinner at Runway 84, followed by a screening of the new "Star Wars" movie. He wanted to see the puppy, too, and thought the puppy looked just grand. Joey, Barry, and I toasted towards a great 2020. Joey said Barry was the best uncle anyone could have. Amen.

I walked Barry out, and he said he would be getting the fish at Runway. I told him to get the sausage and peppers -- best in South Florida. I hope he chose wisely...

We ordered in sushi from a MiMo place, and ate together as the puppy slept. It was about 8:30, and Wifey and I left. The night was ours! I asked if she wanted to slip into Club Eleven -- Snoop was performing. Nah. The Fountainbleau -- Jonas Brothers -- broadcast nationally? Nah. Maybe just head home to our lovely home in Pinecrest, where Wifey promptly went up to sleep. It was 9:30.

I made myself a cup of herbal tea, in the new mug D1 bought me. It's black, but when hot liquid goes into it, photos of our "full squad" magically appear. It became my favorite mug, right away.

I sat outside. It had gotten cooler. There were stars in the clear sky. I thanked the Big Man for my manifold blessings, and asked Him for a great 2020.

And then I went upstairs. I texted the Ds -- told them I always texted them Happy New Year at midnight, but this year I was fading fast. D1 and Joey said they would be asleep, too -- the new puppy had tired them out. D2 and Jonathan had dinner on Brickell, and were at a party at their friends' high rise -- with glorious views of the Miami skyline, and the various fireworks displays. 

I drifted off to sleep, and missed the turning of the year.

Maybe the parties will return next year. Or not. Either way, it's just wonderful to be here for another year in paradise.

No comments: