Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Tribe

So D2 and Jonathan are back from NYC, and yesterday we met up in Shorecrest, at D1 and Joey's house. We all just sat around, and talked. It was exquisite.

I had an "evil plan" regarding the Ds -- wanting them very much to settle in Miami after college. I strongly encouraged them to attend UF -- knowing just about no one stays there after college,and figuring they'd likely meet South Florida guys.

Well -- it worked, but circuitously. D1 came home for grad school, and ended up with her besheret -- Joey, who was a UM grad. Joey's wonderful and loving family all lives here -- so check, regarding my first born.

My plan worked VERY well for D2 -- her college boyfriend, now fiance, graduated high school in Miami Dade -- but then the two Master grads moved to NYC, to begin their careers. I thought we'd lose them to the Big Apple for at least a decade, but then fate and the Big Man smiled sooner than expected -- they moved home last Fall.

And yesterday was just a lovely example of the togetherness I so savor -- the Ds are so close, and their men, from similar, Latin Jewish backgrounds, also have a LOT in common. Jonathan loves basketball, while Joey is a soccer and golf man -- that's ok.

Jonathan announced he was going to this year's Orange Bowl, with a lot of his Gator friends. D2 doesn't much care for football anymore.  I encouraged her to go -- it's a blast to tailgate. Jonathan suggested maybe I take D2's ticket -- I told him he didn't want me going and cheering against the Gators, which is reflexive for me...

So 2019 draws to a close. Tonight is the first night of Chanukah. I already installed the old electric menorah in the window. Probably one of the nights, we'll go back to D1's and light an actual menorah.

Wifey's birthday is Xmas Day -- not sure if we're doing the annual movie day. She always jokes that I'm a great husband and romantic -- I'd be great regardless of who I married. So I found her a mug and ordered it. It says "Dear Wifey . I'm glad you're my wife. If I had a different wife, I'd punch her in the face and go find you."  Wifey is actually looking forward to receiving this gift...

Her REAL gift (in other words expensive) was the Madonna concert. Oh well. I'll do better next year.

All I know is, I'm most thankful for our tribe. And I hope and pray for a wonderful 2020 -- the year of clear vision.

If something is better than that...I don't know what it is.

No comments: