Sunday, February 25, 2018

Thrilling Afternoon on Campus

So yesterday was a beautiful Miami February day, and Wifey had plans to go get vetted for a volunteer job. She wants to work for Paws4U, which is a kennel near our house, that takes in tough to adopt out dogs and finds them homes.  With crazy dog people, you don't simply show up and say "OK -- give me a few to bathe."  No -- there is an orientation, and Wifey even has to go to Pinecrest Police to get a record showing she has no criminal record.

Anyway -- Mike called -- his son was busy, would I like to go to Canes/BC?  I would.  He fetched me in his spiffy new Jaguar SUV, which is the plushest SUV I've ever been in.  Apparently the thing flies, too, though I've never got the idea of a SUV being a sports car.

We went to Titanic, and had a few pre game cocktails and lunch.  Then we went to the Hurricane 100 Club, and ran into Norman and his awesome Dad Max.  I see Max far too rarely -- he's 90 and still extremely vital -- his kids, grandkids, and great grandkids fight for his attention.

We talked about one of his star grandkids, Rachel, who is our local pharmacist, and sadly moving up to Jupiter this summer.  Her husband Ben finished his medical residency here, and found that in his specialty, docs never retire.  Their jobs are like law professors -- NO ONE gives up those spots.  Mike's boy Chris is a 1L at UM, and has three professors who were there when we were -- 35 years ago.

Anyway, we hope Rachel eventually comes back south, when one of those old docs dies, and Ben can get a proper job here...

We took our seats, next to Mike's Dad's former law partner Arnie and his son Randy, who works in house for a cruise line.  I told Arnie he was prescient -- he had predicted a former fellow friend would be disbarred -- it happened last week.  No, Arnie corrected, he thought the lawyer would have been disbarred 10 years ago.  Arnie is an appellate lawyer --he's always correcting something.

Anyway, the game was competitive -- half time there was a 2 point difference.  And then in the second half, the Canes played awfully.  They were down 14 with 5 minutes left.  Mike and I stayed, but knew our boys would lose.  And then they went on an incredible run, and the freshman star Lonnie Walker sunk a long 3 with only 2 seconds left.  The Canes won.  It was extremely exciting -- probably the best ending of a game I ever saw in Coral Gables.

Years ago, in the old Miami Arena, Canes beat a major team when Darius Rice stole an inbounds pass and scored.  That victory was grand, too, but so long ago.

We left elated.  Mike dropped me off, and Wifey came home soon after.  We went to a local Cuban place Malanga, and shared our days' tales.

It was a lovely Saturday.  She asked me why I don't get as excited for the Heat.  I told her I like it when the pro teams win -- same for the Dolphins and Panthers, but I feel it when the Canes teams win or lose.

I don't think that even after all these years together she really gets it.  And that's ok. 

No comments: