Monday, February 12, 2018

Get Tired of Traveling...You Want to Settle Down

So 2018 is indeed the year of travel for me -- more than in a good long time.  We're just back from Colombia, and last weekend began finalizing our long delayed 25th anniversary trip -- to Normandy and Paris.

Following a laughter filled trip last Summer to the Pacific Northwest, we decided to travel again with Loni and Mike, and as of yesterday have now booked our Paris hotels for the 6 nights we'll spend there in June.  The hotels in Normandy and Chartres, pronounced Chartres, will be done this week, and then we'll leave Mike to start the detailed planning -- something he does quite well.

He's already told us we have to break up Normandy -- one day seeing the sights where the Americans landed, and the next where the Brits/Canadians did.  Who knew?  There are also, apparently, monasteries and castles and tapestries.  I KNOW there'll be great food and drink.

We also have in place our reservations for an April trip to NYC.  And today I learned I received my tickets for the ACC tournament -- being held in Brooklyn this March. Wifey wants NO part of NYC in March, so I'll go for a few nights -- dinner with D2 and Jonathan, and basketball during the day and evenings.

I'll miss the championship games Saturday and Sunday, but that's ok. My friend Pat has attended several SEC tournaments, and tells me the best part is the beginning, when all the schools are there, and the games come fast and furious.  Plus, as much as I love my Canes, I don't see them advancing too far this year, so I won't be upset to miss Duke excel, which they likely will. I can't stand that team...

And just today, I learned I may have to cover a business meeting in Chicago, also in March. That'll be just a one nighter, if it happens.

I'm feeling a bit like my friend Norman, who is ALWAYS traveling.  Nah. He does more in a month than I do in several years. When he shows up at AA, they bow down to him and carry his bags...

It's nice to move a bit, for a change. Loni and I were talking about it Saturday night, at our local Italian place, as we discussed the trip. She has plenty of STUFF -- wants no more. She says she wants to spend her time and money with experiences. Wifey and I agree.

Wednesday is Valentine's Day. I bought us tickets to see aging folk singer Judy Collins, at a renovated theater in Homestead. Well, we got an email today -- since Judy is old AF, she had to postpone the show for "minor surgery."  Now it's in March -- on St. Patrick's Day.

So Wifey and I have to figure out alternative VD plans.  She mentioned a picnic on South Beach, on the sand near 10th Street, where I asked her to marry me. I don't know -- my speed lately is more a nice restaurant.  We'll figure it out.

All I know is -- the friendly skies beckon.  We'll be spending more time up in the air.  It's a nice change, for 2018.

No comments: