Sunday, February 11, 2018

Cartagena Paradise

So Sunday am we all met for a delicious homemade breakfast at the 7 room inn -- Casa Cartajuita.  The place was the monastery for the Carthusian monks, who had taken a vow of silence, and lived their monastic lives in the New World -- Cartagena de Los Indias. We were NOT monastic at all -- chatting happily -- we met another two couples staying at the inn.

They were Milwaukee Jews, two of whom had decamped to Brooklyn where one was the retired editor of The Forward, a newspaper I recall my grandmother reading -- in Yiddish.  We told the couples where they might have dinner, and to visit the Inquisition Palace -- they already knew.  I got a laugh with these real life Woody Allen movie characters, when I said "I'm going out on a limb here -- none of you voted for Trump, right?"

After breakfast we Ubered to the marina, where Joey's uncle Ernesto's boat and Captain Jonny awaited.  The boat was a 35 foot runabout, with twin 300 hp outboards.  We'd need that power on the way back -- afternoon winds blow up the seas nicely, and Jonny expertly used the boat's power to get us through the rough water.  But on the way there -- it was like a lake.

Jonny took us past the skyline, which reminded me of Miami, with a huge port right next door. Colombian Navy ships were there, and we got a great view of the city's famous walls -- including two forts at the harbor's entrance, which repelled the pirates of the Caribbean.  It was nice to see the real stuff instead of Disney fake...

We docked at Isla Rosaria, at a Club Nautico called Punta Iguana --Joey's family's private club.  It was, well, paradise.  It was rustic but luxurious, and we were led to a tiki hut with picnic tables, and brought fresh fruit smoothies and amazing grilled seafood.  Ernesto told me to make sure to try the lobster -- it was heavenly.

It was a true tropical feast, with soothing breezes cooling us.  We toasted our amazing vacation, and our family.  Afterwards, we walked to other tiki huts, and napped and beachcombed. Joey and Jonathan and I skipped stones into the sea, and then had a contest about throwing a rock the farthest.  I used to be a serviceable ball player.  This time, I threw the shortest...

We said reluctant goodbyes, and met up at the dock with Jonny, and he took us on the 45 minute ride back, across some impressive waves. Wifey held on for dear life, and each wake she'd scream, causing the rest of us to laugh.

We changed for dinner, and went to Alma, Spanish for soul, in a lovely hotel.  More seafood.  More laughter. We toasted Joey, and his excellent planning -- family and tight schedule first, beach and relaxation second.  When we left, the Super Bowl was on, and the young couples sat on the rooftop of the hotel drinking Scotch. Wifey and I watched the end of the game in our room -- I was happy for my many Philly friends that the Iggles won.

Next am we were off early -- leaving D2 and Jonathan to sleep in -- their flight to JFK was later.  We checked in with Avianca -- and while waiting, they called D1's name, along with another young woman -- "special screening."  Apparently they always pick a young woman -- they tend to be the drug mules.  Wifey and I joked about the movie "Not without my daughter," but we soon learned D1 had cleared -- and was compensated by a trip to the front of the boarding line.

The flight home was 2 hours -- D1 and Joey raced ahead so Joey could make it to his office. Wifey and I used our Global Entry and got through the line in about 5 minutes -- Switzerland-like.

As I told Joey's uncles Ernesto and Sidney -- I'm a very lucky man.  But to have my precious D's family be these warm, loving, and welcoming people -- well, my cup runneth over.

Over 5 days, there was zero tensosity, to use my friend Alan's neologism. We all thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. Our kids LOVE to be with us.  I don't know that it can get any better than that.

We already have plans for the next chapter -- April in NYC. Joey and D1 will go up Thursday, and Wifey and I will follow Friday -- a weekend of meals, and maybe a show.

But no matter what, we'll always have, the 6 fortunate of us, Colombia.

No comments: