Sunday, February 18, 2018

Safe Trip Home

Before the Ds started college, I developed a very unhealthy phobia against their taking long drives on the highway.  It was triggered by the Alan Epstein crash.  I guess it was around 1998.

Alan was the smart, accomplished son of a fellow PI lawyer named Murray.  He was a student at UF, and while coming back to South Florida, I think for TDay, he and two other kids were killed in a rollover crash. One of the other victims was Kerry Heiken, who was friends with my partner Paul's daughter Tracy.  It was huge news here, of course -- promising young college students killed as their lives started.

Murray became close with my rabbi friend Yossi.  He would say that each morning, he cursed the light -- the pain of losing his son was unbearable.  Not long after, Murray was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He told almost no one -- he said that he never wanted the looks of pity he got when people greeted a man whose son was killed.  I think Murray's widow died young, too, a few years later.  Talk about a star crossed family.

Anyway, the horror of that set in motion my phobia.  I disliked it greatly whenever D1, and later D2, would make the drive to Gville.  I paid thousands for flights, and a few times for Red Coach, the luxury bus, to avoid the anxiety of the 7 hour drives.

Well, fate, and the national BBYO convention, summoned D1 back to the Turnpike last week. She was going to make the drive herself, and I sort of maneuvered Wifey into going with her.  They made the trip, Wifey got some time with her friend Elizabeth, and happily, last night they made it home safely.

D1 knows me so well. She called and said I could go enjoy a cocktail.  I had had several Thursday, during the drive up.

I fight the worries -- I inherited them from my beloved Dad.  I try to remember they did him no good.  My Mom was convinced his never ending worries about his youngest daughter and her life choices are what caused his early death.  I concluded that even if that were true, his worries did nothing at all to change the course of his beloved daughter's life.  I really have to stop.

Friday I had a great men's night. Barry had canceled dinner, but my friend Joel called to say his wife and boys were out of town -- leaving him alone in his palatial Grove mansion. Our young friend Vince and I went over, and we drank vodka, and then walked to dinner at Glass and Vine.  It was a delightful evening -- three generations of lawyers comparing notes on life.

And then Wifey made it home fine, after dropping D1 in Midtown.  We met at Cheese Course in Sunniland and caught up on  the past few days.  We're so blessed that all in our family are doing great.  And the dogs greeted Wifey happily -- they missed her, as I did.

Today we'll see my ancient Suegra at the Palace. She wants to visit the cemetery to see her husband -- we'll take her if her back pain allows.  Some days she'd rather just stay in the facility.

So I'm a relieved and happy Daddy in the USA.  Good to have everyone home. As if to agree, the special needs Spaniel just barked as well.

No comments: