Wednesday, February 14, 2018

El Dia de Amor

So today is Valentine's Day...and what have you done...

I have already been in touch with my inner Cupid -- I emailed both Ds, and brought Wifey a note along with her morning coffee.  It's so easy to fall into a rut as we age, and our marriage ages too, and sort of ignore VD. No!  I resist. Romance must be fed, watered, and kept alive.

The day has some sadness for me, as I always remembered my late Mom Sunny.  Each year I would send flowers, or candy, or a plant of some type.  One year, Paul and I bought dozens and dozens of beautiful long stemmed roses from Wifey's company. We set up a florist shop in our back lunch area, having the "little girls," as we called the file clerks, arranging them.

We had our friend Lou go around South Florida delivering the flowers to clients and referral sources, and Paul's mother Lillian and Sunny each got two dozen. Sunny had Lou in for lunch -- made him a tuna sandwich. Lou still remembers that day fondly.

Each VD evening, Sunny would call and say "Oh David -- thank you for the beauty-ful flowers (the charming way she said beautiful). I'm so glad I had you."

Well, my first Valentine, the first woman I loved, is now gone nearly half a decade. As Tony Soprano used to say -- Yeah -- but what are ya gonna do?

Well, the Ds wrote me back, thanking me for being a fine role model, and D2 called me OG Valentine. I love that.

There's so much hate and misery in this world, it's just awesome to have a day devoted to love.

As for Wifey and me, well, I'm leaving early and heading to Joanna's, our local gourmet market. I'll pick up some food, and I already have a bottle of Vieuve chilling in the fridge. I'll take Wifey waterside somewhere -- maybe Matheson Hammock, and we'll picnic and toast to love.  Matheson is also where I put Mom's ashes in the water, so it will have added poignancy for me.

I still remember VD 2001. We had just moved into our house, Villa Wifey, and the Ds were 9 and 12. I set up a table in our front courtyard, with a red tablecloth, and a boom box playing show tunes. I love show tunes, even though I'm a straight male.

I remember feeling like Jay Gatsby that night, with my three ladies enjoying the amazing home we were able to share together.  Yes -- that was one awesome VD.

So here's to love.  I guess people can live without it. I'm thankful I don't have to be one of them.

No comments: