Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Basketball gods Have Smiled

So earlier this Canes roundball season, I learned that the ACC Tournament is taking place in Brooklyn.  Hmm, I thought -- Canes and visiting D2 and her man Jonathan -- a winning combination for me.

So I ordered some tourney tickets, and received them -- it starts next Tuesday.  And then the Canes started losing -- a lot.  Oh well, I thought, at least I'll enjoy seeing D2 and Jonathan...

And then the basketball worm turned.  My boys started winning, and in exciting fashion. Saturday I went with Mike to see them beat BC in stunning comeback fashion -- with a classic buzzer beater, or nearly one.  But then they had to travel to NC to play last year's champs, the Tar Heels.  I figured they'd lose.

In fact, they dominated most of the game, but then let the Heels back in.  UNC tied the game with just a few seconds left on a long 3.  And then Miami's Newton tossed up a nearly half court shot as time expired.  This was a REAL buzzer beater, and one of the most exciting shots to end a game I've ever seen.

All of a sudden, the Canes are peaking.  I shall proudly wear my orange and green early Tuesday on my flight to LGA.  The Canes might even win the thing.

Barry and Donna are flying up as well, and Tuesday night we'll meet in the City for dinner -- their boys are coming up Wednesday.  D2 is picking out a restaurant for us -- Jonathan can't make it, unfortunately.

Hopefully Wednesday we'll be watching lots of basketball in the Barclay's Center, and if the Canes play Wednesday night, Jonathan will accompany me.  He's a big Heat fan -- they won big last night, too, but I'll convert him for an evening.

The tournament's final games are Saturday and Sunday, but I have to leave earlier.  Wifey's childhood friend Jeannette's girl Eric is getting married, and I look forward to attending.  I'll either sell the tickets, or use them for a good political purpose.

It turns out D2's boss is a huge FSU fan -- she didn't go to school in Tally, but loves the Noles.  I told D2 to offer her and her husband my passes -- I hope they want them.  If not, my nephew Josh can sell them with his acutely fine computer skills -- the proceeds can pay for some of our meals.

One must stop is Russ and Daughters, the classic smoked fish shop in the Lower East Side.  Barry and Donna have never been -- we'll go there during this trip.  The smoked fish there is truly an art form -- you can see yourself through the thin slices.  D2 and I once got their takeout and it was indeed a near religious experience.  We Ashkenazim love us some lox...

So the Canes have come through, and I look forward to NYC in March.  The weather will probably be bad, but the company, and hopefully basketball, will be just fine.

No comments: