Friday, February 23, 2018

The Battles Are So Vicious, Because the Stakes Are So Small

The above is the classic description of life in Academia, a world where I have been a mere dilettante.  Yesterday I had an experience that frosted my shorts, so to speak, and told me I wouldn't have lasted very long as either a full time professor or college administrator.

I'm a member of my College's Visiting Committee.  This Committee was started way back in the 90s, by my friend Ross, who was Dean at the time. Ross though it a good idea to set up a group of alums and College supporters, who might advise him on the direction of the College (and hopefully pony up some shekels to support the effort).  Ross thought I would be a classic member.

I hesitated.  My father was a proud "non joiner" of groups.  He had no stomach for all the formality of any committee -- he preferred to be the lone wolf.  I didn't share his disdain -- and in high school and college did in fact join many groups and organizations, and even became leaders of some.  In the end, I joined the committee.

Well, Ross was FOUR Deans ago, and I stayed on the Committee, even as it morphed into a group of very rich folks -- I'm by far the poorest member.  One fellow is the aging CEO of a major clothing manufacturer, who joined because his grandkids attended the college.  Others are the scions of some of Miami's major families -- developers, car dealers, etc...

When the present Dean joined the College 8 years ago, I wrote him in response to his request for suggestions.  I told him how I had done an internship way back in '82, on a short lived presidential campaign for former Florida Governor Reuben Askew, and how I treasured the experience. I volunteered to start a College-wide program calling upon my many contacts in the Miami area.  The Dean blew me off, after having an assistant meet with me.  I let it drop.

Well, yesterday I attended the bi-annual meeting. As usual, a highlight was hearing from two undergrads.  One young coed talked about her favorite part of her College experience -- the Aspire Internship Program -- it placed her with the British Consulate, and Homeland Security.

I feigned ignorance, and asked the Dean about the program.  It was PRECISELY the program I offered to him in 2011.  I left shaking my head.

The bottom line of all this is that I wasn't looking to profit monetarily, but it is a great human nature lesson -- if you ARE, get your ideas trademarked!  I thought a coordinated internship program would benefit the College. I'm glad they have it now.

Maybe the Dean was just lying in bed a few years ago and thought "Hey -- we need an internship program!  I'll get some part time instructor to run it."

It's funny -- I didn't like the guy from the first I met him.  I guess my sense of him was correct.

I think I'll simply let my membership in the Committee stay dormant for awhile.  The truth is, I think FIU needs my modest help more, anyway.

I have a brother of another mother who has been a member of the faculty for 25 years now.  He shares with me his tales of dirty politics and incompetence.  I truly don't know how he has kept his job for 1/4 of a century without exploding.  I guess it takes a skill I don't have.

Go Panthers.

No comments: